Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Premier Trip 8/5
Hey there guys,

Rode the Premier today. Danny at the helm with Andy on deck, and Eva in the galley and often on deck lending an experienced hand here and there. Huge 5-6 inch anchovies and super slimy 8-10 sardines. 34 anglers kept the load to super lite. Travel time, going straight down to within sight of HB's twin stacks took a little over an hour and a half. Travel time sometimes depends on just where the bait receiver or bait supply is positioned. We've had to go meet the bait boat on occasion. ha ha

Overcast skies didn't last long and it warmed up quick. Ocean was pretty flat with a nice breeze and an ever increasng current! Water was warm, good color, and clean. Still had some of those dreaded poisonous brown jellyfish sneaking around.

Great fishing conditions with good numbers occasionally developing into wide-open catching! Barracuda were again wide open in the early morning and we hung around on one spot for quite a while until ol' patch (my nickname for this one bull sealion with a white or pink squarish patch on his back, or is it on his butt, or is it on his ???? heck.... I don't know) showed up and pestered us to death. Shook him off for a while and there he was again !! Swimbaits just weren't doing well early so I caught half my cuda on sardines with 4/0 Owner circle hooks first and the other half on 5 inch rainbow whams on 25 pound test fluro leader. At least there we're so many bite-offs today. Cuda total for the day for the boat was 128. Guys using jigs didn't seem to do so well that I could notice.

Moved up further along the line for our main sandbass targeting efforts. Nothing special on keying in on the sandies except they were being caught with the green color plastics and a yellow leadhead producing best. With things kinda slow, a buddy and I stopped fishng the plastics and he fished a reverse dropper loop and I fished a Carolina rig with a 2oz egg sinker. Every drop got us bit !! Wind stayed down in the afternoon. but the current got a lot stronger once we moved up closer to home. Limited out on the sandbass 34 x 10= 340 again just a few grumpies with the average size still going down a bit!

As usual most of the barries were a good grade of fish going 6 to 9 pounds, except most of (plastics) mine !!! Grrrr The sandbass averaged approxamately 16 inches. Action was pretty steady throughtout the day IF you worked at it! Not much mixed species catching .... It was kinda one or the other although both were being metered. Macks were out in force but really didn't bother us much. Bite was consistance no matter where anglers were positoned on the boat.

Barracuda won the jackpot.

Great boat, crew, and fishing. Got back to the dock at 4:30pm. Hey Ed ... lots of fun fishin' with ya again.

Good fishing all,

tsurikichi
[signature]