Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lake Mead Sunday
Sunday, 09/11/05- Hit the water early, and was in Las Vegas Wash tossing a net at first light. Shad were all over the surface and we had the live well filled quickly. We made drifts between the entrance to the wash and Hole 33 and landed several fish. The wind soon kicked up and forced us to anchor. We fished in fifty feet of water outside of the wash, and had over thirty stripers in the box by 10 am. We released a lot of fish today because they were two small or very skinny. Live bait will be my first presentation for now on.

The ride back to the marina was wet and rough. On the way back we noticed a large cloud of smoke about 800 meters from the entrance to the marina. Fearing that a boat was on fire we changed our course and came upon a ski boat that had blow its engine. The smell of burnt rubber and oil left no doubt in my mind that this guy had a BIG repair bill to pay in the future. We tossed him a line and towed his boat in through the white caps. I've been towed in twice in the last four years so I know how it feels to need help on the water.

Get out there and throw a net!
BaySport
[signature]
Dear Bay:

Thanks for the report! Where is Hole 33? We are new to boating at The Lake of Mead ( mead - an alcoholic beverage made of water & honey, Ok to substitute hops for honey.) We put in at the marina with the two rows of tires & lots of sailboats. We sneak out of the smaller gap of tires & go left past the water district's giant machine gun tower, motor past the long cliff face to what I think is the entrance to Las Vegas Wash. Do you drift across that entrance? Where is the hole? Do you ever go all the way into the wash? What is the meaning of Life? Does it really help to piss on your foot if you get stung by a jellyfish? Any help is appreciated.

Vince S
[signature]
The best way to find Hole 33 is to by a map of Lake Mead (try WalMart or West Marine) to give you an idea of where to go. Sounds like you are headed in the right direction already. It's really not a Hole but rather a deep cove. Keep trying and I'm sure you will find the area. There are usually a lot of anglers in boats in or near hole 33. The Wash is at the end of Las Bay where the water runs in from the Las Vegas Valley. I go all the way into the wash when I net live shad. We drift with live shad from the entrance of Las Vegas Wash all the way down to Hole 33 and everywhere in between were the sonar shows fish. We anchor when the wind makes the boat drift too fast. The meaning of life is simple...man was put on earth to have fun and die with a Smile on his face. Fishing makes life fun an gives meaning to your life. I've heard that pissing on your foot might help if your stung by a jellyfish, but I really don't know. I've pissed on my foot several times while on my boat but that is because I'm older now and can't piss very far anymore, not because of a jellyfish sting. I've never tried mead and would like to sample it sometime, I know the Vikings enjoyed it. ODIN!
BaySport
[signature]
Dear Bay:
Thanks so much for your response & heartfelt advise. We are heading out tommorow with our usual frozen anchovie bait larder. I think I will try & buy some shad (shiners?) on the way out as we are not set up to net (yet)! Since we've gotten the boat, Me & Sue have taken her mom & 79yr old dad out 8 times. We have caught fish everytime & this has been the most time I have spent with my father in law in my 26 years with Sue. You are a wise sage to observe that fishing adds meaning to life - It has ours! Tight lines.

Vince S.
[signature]