Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Muzzleloader Hunt Results????
Well this year was a big disappointment. 1st off my buddy that I was planning on going with ended up not going at the last minute, and he was taking me to a new area. I found a neighbor that also had a southern tag and was going alone so we hooked up. We went down on Monroe Mountain out of Glendale. We hunted from Wednesday to Saturday. We saw many does and fawns but the buck were very far and few between and the ones we did see were very small. We did see 1 nice heavy and tall 2 point but it was on the night before it opened, and then it vanished in thin air.

We got soaked on Wednesday and did not dry out till Friday. We put many miles on the boots and the wheeler without finding anything decent to shoot at.

I had my 2 boys with me and they wanted me to shoot something. So on our last day I went to were we had been seeing a group of 3 small bucks. Well like clock work they worked there way across the ridge. and up to the top. I waited for them to get over the ridge line in the sage brush flat then me and the boys put the sneak on them. We got to the ridge line and the and they did not go far. One of them lifted up its head from feeding and it was no more then 40 feet away. All I could see was its head and neck, So I placed the sights on the neck and boom!! It dropped out of sight. The other bucks just walked off. It was a nice clean neck shoot and no meat was wasted.

It was another fun trip with my boys and more memories were made.

So had did everyone else do???
[signature]
A muzzleloader is incrediable when ever you shoot a deer and others are near the sound of the muzzleloader does not scare them and if it does scare them they do not no what direction to run. I also shot a small 2 point on my last day of me hunting. just thought some nice deer roast and backstraps are better then no meat in the freezer at all.
[signature]
[font "Viner Hand ITC"][#ff4040][size 3]Muzzleloaders are crazy! I have this video where this guy smokes this 6X6 Elk and drops it like a sack of crap. That thing did not even know what hit it. I might have to try muzzleloading one day.[/size][/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]
I am hooked on the Muzzleloader. This is 5 for 5 for me and it includes 4 deer and 1 elk. My rifle has been gathering dust for many years and will for many more. You need to give it a try and I am sure you will be hooked.

Enjoy
[signature]
So many people are so concerned with killing a big monster. Well I too would love a big buck, but when you have 2 kids with you it is harder to hike to the top of Nebo or some mountain. So I look at hunting as a way to spend time with my kids and make it so that they enjoy it.

Enjoy the steaks, I know I will.
[signature]
I've used a muzzleloader on and off since before they made the change to the earlier season. I've been holding out for a bigger deer but since that hasn't happened, maybe next year I'll take a two point. Was the elk you shot a cow? WH2
[signature]
The Elk I shot was a Spike. It was a fun hunt and it was in with 6 other bulls. I even found a big elk shed on the same hunt. The only thing that was hard was I was by my self on the hunt. I drug it as far as I could down a snow covered draw until I ran out of snow. Then I had to go back to town to get help.
[signature]
Shhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!! kidsnme! Don't let the secret out![Wink]
I love the ML hunt, it is the only hunt where you can go out and hunt, and not get the deer you were stalking shot by someone 700yds away who has a lot more money than you (and more time to spend at the range) and has a much better gun with a much better scope. I like the laws preventing scopes on muzzle loaders (although I do use an in-line), it makes it a little more challenging, because you have to get closer.
Last week I only saw about 10 hunters other than me the whole week, but if it was the rifle season I would have seen 50 hunters on opening morning on the same ridge as me. That is why I like it.

I have only seen four bucks so far, one of which is now dead, but a lot less deer overall. I did see a coyote that was stalking some guys on horses, I will be going back to that spot in a few weeks with a predator call and my .17hmr to see if I can still find him.
I have had a lot of fun this last week, I didn't get a deer yet, but the hunt is not over for 2 more days!
[signature]
Oh ya I meant to say that this is the worst hunt of my life, why would anyone want to shoot a gun that you can only load 1 bullet in a time. And all of that smelly smoke. I't must of been the toxic smoke that made me say all of the stupid things I have mentioned previously.

Even worse I am here at work still playing catch-up because I took so many days off.
[signature]
That's more like it!
[signature]