Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devil Creek 1/2/06
Fished Devil Creek today from about 3pm to dark. All of the rainbows that I caught were 8”-14”. I also caught one nice sized kokanee. When I get the film developed I’ll post a picture (might be a month or more). We keep the kokanee and 5 rainbows and three of them had empty stomachs so I don’t think it would hurt for anglers to keep a few fish from Devil Creek. Ice was not as thick close to shore and it helped to have a board to get on the ice. The ice in my holes varied from less than 6” to about 12” farther from the shore. I might have been able to get on the ice without a board but wouldn’t recommend it. I fished in 5’ to 20’ of water and mostly fished within 3 feet of the bottom but also caught several suspended. We only iced one from the 5’ hole but the fish seemed to bite just as good in the 10’ hole as the 20’ hole.
[signature]
Hey B, it's 2006[laugh] Where does the time go? I had no idea that Devils creek had Koke. Might have to rethink that lake this spring, summer on the way to the Falls.. I just hate that big underwater tree straight out from the boat ramp. It has way too many of my flies in it.
[signature]
I always do that at the begining of the new year. [crazy] Good thing I can edit my posts.[Smile]
There aren't very many kokanee in Devil Creek but it isn't a bad place to go if you want to sharpen your skills on the planted rainbows. I would say that less than 1 out of 50 fish that I catch out of Devil Creek is a Kokanee. Devil Creek Kokanee are even more rare than the elusive carry over rainbow.[shocked]
[signature]
We have the Koke in Strawberry also, but they are very hard to catch cause they eat planktin (Misspelled that but you get the idea). There are some leech patterns that you dab hobbie paint on a few of the hairs sticking out to get the planktin effect. I have caught a couple with that. Are they chrome right now? Fishing Henry's around Mack's Inn last year the bright red ones were swimming all around my legs, but that was spawn.
[signature]