Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lake Mead Largemouth Report
Fished Jan 3,4,5 out of Callville Bay upstream towards the Narrows. Water temp about 58. Clarity to 20 ft. Clear, slight overcast, couple of small fronts came through. Concentrated on primary and near entrance secondary points and reefs. For 3 days only 2 lmb and 2 schoolie stripers. Found the bass in about 25 ft. near emergent vegetation. Used the swimbait as a search tool, but also dropshotting and doodling.
Hi Tom, thanks for the report. How was the lake level?
and more importantly, how are those rods working out for you?
[signature]
and here I thought some one was getting a little ice action.

we are looking at 50 degrees tomarow in michigan sore thumb area. Yep ice fishng in south east michigan is a sore thumb area, you need to stick it out and hitch hike north a hundred miles or better to see safe ice.
[signature]
I went out yesterday to same area. No LMB at all and only 3 or 4 taps from school stripers on a 5" swimbait which was way too big for them to eat. I was also throwing a storm swimbait which usually re-positions the stripers and is good for probing an area. nobody was eating the storm bait.

Water level is dropping by inches per day judging from the shoreline erosion marks. GPS read number of different values, but none of them were a high as the official Lake Mead level posted on the LAME site (1137'). I am getting around 1132 to 1129'.

Was doing a "milk run" of proven spots and have no explaination for blanking. Only shad school seen was about 10:30 in the morning in one of the coves at about 50 ft. No other arches really outside the launch areas. Fishing a smorgaboard of different locations and different depths. Surface water temperature was about one degree cooler yesterday.

Guess you figured - I'm taking a bit of a vacation right now...

Rods are fine. They do a great job smoothly throwing those 6 to 8 oz. swimbaits. The "9 o'clock" location of the hook keepers is a problem. They sometimes catch the line on a cast and cause a backlash. Got them bent over and thinking about cutting them off.

Hanging at home cause I just couldn't face the idea of an 11 mile run from Cottonwood to Aztec Wash (trout plant) this moring in freezing temps.
[signature]
Thanks again for the report, and keep us posted.
I'll be leaving for Cabo Friday A.M. so I'll type up a quick report for the Nevadan's when I return next Tue.
[signature]