Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
bunny hunting?
I've been toying with the idea of going out and chasing rabbits, but I'm new to the wasatch front and am not sure where to go. I haven't even checked to see if the season still runs through the end of feb or not, just toying with the idea. If anyone has any good spots let me know. I'll probably go solo and promise not to shoot out your honey hole, just a couple for dinner is all.
[signature]
We were out West of Snowville today and did all right, saw about 50 rabbits, most were jacks but a few were cottontails. The season ends Feb. 28th. WH2
[signature]
Most people hunt out near locomotive springs on the old railroad grade...
To get there follow signs to golden spike monument then continue west..
Hope this helps...
If you want further directions let me know...
I will be headed out there this week end if you want to tag along...
Also have secret spot for cottontails out there...
[signature]
What day are you headed out? Saturday morning is going to be my only chance to get out this weekend, but I would like to tag along with an someone else. Are there any coyotes out there? I'm not opposed to squeeking in a dog in the morning and chasing a bunny after it warms up a bit.
[signature]
I was planning on heading out Sat morning and hunting the whole day out there...
One of the spots that has produced well for me recently is way out there...
There is a few yotes out there... Seen one skinned out and just left there two weeks ago...
Have not seen one myself for awhile... Heard alot though...
[signature]
We saw a dog skinned out like that when we were there also. It was past that turn off to Kelton, and that old R/R grade, heading toward the Hogup mountains on the right side. It looked like someone had dumped it after they had gone to the trouble of skinning it, what a waste. WH2
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#ff4040][size 3]Stupid question, but what do you do with a coyote after you skin it?[/size][/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]
There are a couple of things you can do with them. One is to put felt on the inside and make a rug out of it or hang it on a wall. Most people sell them though, a good dog pelt is worth $35.00 to $45.00 maybe more, it depends on what they are going for on any given year. I'm sure some of the guys that hunt them a lot could give you a better idea what they are worth. WH2
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#ff4040][size 3]I was talking about the carcass. You said that someone dumped one out and it was a waste? Did they not keep the pelt? If I got one it would be a nice little rug![/size][/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]
I'm not sure what most people do with the carcass, they should bury it but I bet a lot of people dump them some where. The reason I said it was a waste was, someone took the time to skin it and then they left the skin. I've seen a few of them rugged out with the head and maybe that was what this guy had in mind but he didn't know how to cape the head. The hide looked good but the head was rotting.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#ff4040][size 3]Now I can see why that was a waste. You kill an animal you have to do something with it! It gave it's life, so the least you can do is give it a proper burial.[/size][/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]
I saw the same one...
It had been shot in the head..
The snout was all messed up...
Maybe they did it to practice their skinning...
[signature]
Yea, that was the one. We hunted in that area, on both sides of the road and then down the road a little. We also hunted an area right outside Locomotive springs but there were very few rabbits there. We drove down to the springs, I was surprised to see the first one was frozen, I thought they were warm enough that they didn't freeze.
[signature]
In years past they didn't freeze, but the last couple of years they have been icing up. Not sure if it is just a lack of flow...leftovers of the dought, or a change in the temps of the water going into them.
[signature]
Thats strange, I wonder what is making the difference. I always thought they were like the warm water springs(stinky springs), on the road between Corine and Thicol. I didn't check to see how thick the ice was but it was melted around the edges.
[signature]
Went out "West" on Saturday and found a few of the four-legged bunnies. Most were right along the the water, but a few in the gullies. They were really cagey and went right into their holes when the saw us. Got a couple with a lot of effort. Best advice would be to have patience. Wait a half hour until they stick their heads out and hit them in the head. They will then go "kickin-chicken" and won't go back into their holes. That worked best for us. Mr. J.
[signature]