Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Perch
Anyone know of any good places to catch perch south of Pocatello? I've heard third hand that Alexander has been good ??
[signature]
I've already given you some advice about perch in the area and don't have any new info. I thought I would make this list which may help anyone that is intersted about perch in the SE region. Hopefully someone else will respond and give you some additional info.

Here's a list of places that I know have perch South of Pocatello. I might forget a couple so if anyone would like to add one or two to the list feel free. If anyone would like to add additional information or disagree with what I have stated about any of the places below feel free. Considering what the precipitation has been like I think the perch fishing in the SE Region will be much better next year and the year after that.

St. John's - had perch in the past but hasn't had much water after structural problems on dam were discovered about 6? years ago.

Crowthers - a few years ago it had a decent population of perch. Recently I haven't heard any good reports about perch fishing at Crowthers.

Weston - It is not common catch large numbers of perch in Weston but the ones that you do will normally be worth keeping

Twin Lakes - most fishermen don't fish Twin Lakes for the perch but there are some in there

Lamont - heard a good report from a few months ago but haven't fished it for perch myself

Johnson - had perch before it was drained a few years ago. I don't know if there are perch currently in Johnson but if I had to guess I would say that there are at least a few.

Foster - has perch but I don't know how good it is for perch

Glendale - has a few perch, all of the perch I caught in Glendale this winter were on the small side.

Winder - earlier this month I didn't have any trouble catching perch. Bite wasn't red hot but I was able to get about 10 in about an hour.

Condie - currently it is one of the better perch fisheries south of Pocatello. When I fished it earlier this winter the perch bite was good but not red hot. If I had moved around and tried different spots I might have found better fishing.

Oxford Reservoir - used to have some decent perch fishing but was hurt by the drought. I’ve tried fishing it in 2002 and 2004 and didn't catch any fish. I haven't heard of anyone catching fish out of Oxford for several years. If anyone has any recent info about Oxford I would like to hear about it.

Oneida Reservoir - has a few perch but I don't know anyone that has caught large numbers of perch from Oneida.

Alexander - I've never ice fished it but have heard some good reports about perch there.

Montpelier Reservoir - had good perch fishing in the past. Was treated with rotenone in 2004 after illegally introduced walleye were discovered. Hopefully the small population of walleye was eliminated from Montpelier but I would guess that in a couple years Montpelier perch will once again be plentiful.

Bear Lake - has a few perch but not very many people fish for them. I have heard of several very large perch coming out of Bear Lake.

Bear River - as well as any river or creek connected to perch infested reservoirs have a few perch but perch normally aren't common.

Blackfoot Reservoir - is strait East of Pocatello but I thought I would include it anyway. Perch were illegally introduced and recently discovered only 3? years ago. Blackfoot Reservoir hasn't been doing very good water wise the last few years as a result of the drought but it may offer some very good perch fishing in a couple years.

American Falls Reservoir - north of Pocatello but I thought I would include it anyway. American Falls has been a popular place for perch fishing in the past. Hurt by the drought but starting to recover. May be good perch fishing next year and the year after that.

[size 3][font "Times New Roman"][/font][/size]
[signature]
Great detailed info BrianID.

Thanks again!
[signature]