Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rod weight vs. fish size
Planning on going to Alaska 1st week of August and targeting rainbows and dolly varden. Thinking about taking two poles a 5 and a 6 weight. Do you think they will be heavy enough or should I get an 8 weight, even though I will not have much use for it other than this trip.
[signature]
Most of the clients that I had that were lucky enough to get to Alaska would take an 8 wt. But, I know they were targeting Steelhead or Salmon. I would think a 6wt. for trout and dollies. Anyone up there you can call?
[signature]
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 4]Hi there Icerod -sounds like a nice trip that you have planned.[/size][/green][/font] [font "Poor Richard"][#008000][size 4]Makes sense as to what FGD has suggested. I am sure that if you wanted to have a go at some Salmon that the guides would have the right equipment available. The first time that I went Salmon fishing in Alaska I borrowed everything. Hadn't planned on fishing as it was a spur of the moment thing while crusing. Good luck.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
[#008000][size 4]the guides would have the right equipment available.[/size][/#008000]Good point Dryrod
[signature]
My brother guided for quite a few years in Alaska. He always said you could get by with a 6wt on the bows but needed an 8wt for everything else. He always said Alaska was an Indian word for " Breaker of Rods"
[signature]
6-8 weight glass rods. Indestructible. And fun to cast.
[signature]