Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
American Falls Reservoir 3/3/06
Went out to American Falls Reservoir today hopeing to catch some ice out rainbows. Almost all of the reservoir was covered with ice. The ice by the dam wasn't thick enough for me to feel safe. I'm not walking on rotting ice even if it is 6" thick. The ice at Sportsmans Park was probably much thicker and likely safe to still ice fish.

I'm guessing that a lot of the ice at American Falls will be gone by this time next week. I could be wrong but I would guess that most of the ice covering the reservoir is less than 6" thick.

I also went to check out Eagle Rock. There were large drifts across the dirt road that I wouldn't even attempt to get my truck past.
[signature]
What are you fishing for those trout with at Ice Out? Any hints?

BuckBoard
Hey Countdown, welcome to BFT! Thanks for posting. I hope you enjoy the site and will continue to jump in and put in you 2 cents worth.
Best wishes.

Brian, I take it that you did not try fishing AF at all. Was anyone on the ice? With the warm weather I'll bet you right about the ice being history are close to it next week. Some of the reports from Bear Lake sound about the same. If we get any wind with this next storm I think it will be gone. Thanks for your reports on AF.
[signature]
Welcome back Countdown!

At American Falls I attemped to make a few casts with a spinner in a small opening close to the dam. I didn't get any fish but I wasted less than 5 minutes trying.

I didn't see anyone crazy enough to get on the ice by the dam. I wouldn't be surprised if there were some ice fishermen at Sportsman's Park but I didn't go over there to check it out. Were I have been fishing by the dam I would have needed a 20' board to get on the ice. This winter I've walked on 2.5" of good quality ice at a couple places. I'm not crazy enough to walk on 4"-5" of rotting ice. The ice at American Falls was already starting to break up a little yesterday afternoon. I'm sure the 50 mph recorded at the Pocatello Airport yesterday evening helped.

Gem Lake (Snake River just south of Idaho Falls) is ice free now. When I drove over the bridge Thursday (3/2/06) it was still frozen over with only a small amount of water upstream of the bridge.
[signature]
Thanks for the report Brian, I think unless we have a major cold snap that the ice fishing season is just about over!
[signature]