Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry 3/7/06
Braved the snowy roads this morning to get to strawberry for some fishing. It took about 30 minutes longer than usual with as much as 6 inches on the road in some places and very slippery. Started fishing about 7:30 near the marina in about 24 feet deep with my dad and cyclonejack. On the first drop my jig was attacked at 16 feet by a hungry 14 inch rainbow. It was my first rainbow for a long time and we invited him home with us for dinner. The action was steady for CJ and I until about 9 AM and then it died. My dad struggled all day and came home smelling like skunk which is very unusual for him. We landed a couple more between 9 AM and 11 AM but they were few and far between. There were fish on the sonar all morning and the ones between 7:30-9:00 were hungry but then they went inactive and would just come in for a look and swim off. We couldn't get them to hit very often. I ended up landing 10 fish (9 slot cutts and the bow), CJ ended up with 9 including a 14 inch cutt and my dad smelled like skunk. There was about 3 inches of new slow on the ice and it snow on/off all morning. Walking was the easiest it has been in a while with a good crust. On some steps you would sink in 6 inches but most only 3. No slush where we were. The the depth of the ice and crusted snow on top of the ice you have to pretty much bottom out the auger to get to the water. Today tube jigs with minnow chunks was equally as good at paddlebugs with mealys.

Here's a couple of pics from last week when we fished the SC side.... A dark pic of a 24 incher and then a 20 incher with the 24 incher
[signature]
Great report BigCat. Second report I read that said the catching shut down early. I plan on going next Saturday, you should come up and join us.
[signature]
I'd love to. I'll check on the kitchen pass!
[signature]
Great looking fish! We're planning a run on Saturday. Can't wait!
[signature]