Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lincoln Beach blowout 4/13/06
[cool][#0000ff]As we headed south toward Utah Lake, it was still dark...except for the big full moon in the western sky. Oh-oh. We started making other excuses...Thursday the 13'th, weather front coming in, etc. I told TubeBabe that if the sun came out and the wind did not come up we would still catch fish.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]When we launched at 7:15, the sky was clear and air temp 50 degrees. The beginning water temp was already 54. Warmest early launch we have had in a long time. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Light easterly breeze...just enough to blow the muddy water from the Spanish Fork River and Benjamin Slough into our fishing area. So much for fishing plastics. The water was too murky. Threw plastics for about an hour anyway. Didn't see many fish on sonar. They moved out of the murky water. Not even any carp rafts or carp scales on the jig hooks. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Rigged with two bait rods, one with minnow the other with carp meat. Covered a lot of water (lake bottom) before getting my first inquiry. Pop and drop. Another half hour and I finally finessed a 3# channel. Skunk repellent. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I kicked my tube against the building east wind, thinking it would be easy to go back when I was ready...with a tail wind. Kept kicking and fishing clear up past the inlet of Benjamin Slough. Caught another small cat just before the W hit. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The wind shifted and began blowing strong from the southwest. Oh joy. Now I had to kick back against the wind to get back to the vehicle. TubeBabe had remained back closer to our launch area, and announced over the walkie talkies that she was going in before the wind got any worse.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I started powering back against the building wind and waves. I put up the bait rods and started throwing a tandem plastic, just for something to do while getting my daily exercise. Sonamagun, a silly little white bass munched my walleye plastic and I got to play with him. First, last and only whitie.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Tubebabe had not gone all the way back into the shallows where we had launched. She was kicking hard a few yards ahead of me and wailed that she had a problem. First one of her fins had become loose in the heavy kicking and then the second. She was being blown off course by the wind and could do nothing about it, without losing both fins. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I powered to catch up with her. I reached her just as she got to water shallow enough to stand up. She salvaged one of the fins, but lost the other one. I took my tube ashore and came back out to help look for it. Fortunately, I felt it and was able to scoop it in my net. That was close. Good it didn't happen a long ways from shore in deeper water.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Would you believe...NO PICTURES today? I took the camera but was just not motivated to shoot any pics. A couple of bitty kitties and a junior whitie are not exciting enough to waste an image on. At least I got to bend my stick a few times. Poor TubeBabe had one of her "off" days. Not even a hit. Remember that the next time she beats me. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]CARP ALERT! On the way home from LB, we stopped to look at the water level in the fields of the Utah Lake Wetlands area, just before the signed turnoff down to Lincoln Beach. I had seen some pelicans feeding there a few days before. The water level was down and we could see carp splashing in the shallows in several spots. They looked like they were in full spawning mode. That water is shallow and warm so maybe it has made them ready.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]We saw a few rafts of carp in close to shore, off the orchards, just before we left too. Don't know if they were just being sociable or if they are planning an orgy.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]By the way, water temps got to 55.8 before the big blow hit. Then they dropped back down to just over 54.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Hope the W behaves. Lots of folks are counting on getting in some fishing over the next few days.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[mad]Grumble, grumble, grumble!
[signature]
Hey TD. Another nice report; thanks for sharing.

I'm still planning on fishing Salem Pond tomorrow morning, despite the unstable weather being predicted. (You're always welcome to join me, by the way.) After reading your report and realizing that the moon will still be plenty full through the night, I'm less than optimistic about finding a lot of success.

I've got a quick question for you, if you don't mind. I plan on targeting the largemouth first thing in the morning along the banks. Depending on how long I can hold their interest, my next plan of attack will be to float some shrimp, worms, and/or minnows weightless while I drift along in the boat to locate some cats.

The catfish hole that I showed you last year didn't hold any catfish tenants about a week ago when I fished it with bait under a bobber. After reading some of your recent posts, I suspect drifting some bait weightless and searching for them lakewide may be the best approach during this time of year, until the cats take up residence again in the honey hole.

Here's my question, finally: Do you agree? Do you have any other tips for me tomorrow?

I plan on fishing small, light jig heads and curly tails for the bass. If I happen to drift along at a pretty good clip on the surface, should I add a little weight on the bait for the kitties to keep it near the bottom? Would you try anything else?

Sorry to pose so many questions to you, but so far this year all I've caught is one huge freak catfish at UL over a month ago and several hatchery pets, which I promptly released. I'm just naive enough to think I may catch a few tomorrow with your help.
[signature]
Hey PF, the thing is there are VERY few cats in there right now. They only stock them in the warmer months, so none have been stocked since late last summer. Most of those have been caught over the last 8 months. I'm sure there are a few wanderers left, but nothing like after the end of May when the DWR begins stocking [url "http://www.utahfishinginfo.com/utahfish/channelcatfish.php"]channel cats[/url] again.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]For the bass, I might try Senkos or tubes, flippin' or pitchin' right next to reeds coming up out of water 2-4 feet deep. Go for cover on the north side of the lake (facing south sun). Try either dark or chartreuse. They have to see it and respond with a "reaction" bite if they are not actively cruising and feeding. Sometimes the small jigs will do the same thing. But, you usually have to put it right on their nose. They don't move far to chase lures yet.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Catfish. Early in the day, when the water is coldest, try anchoring a short cast away from a deeper hole and toss in a piece of weightless bait...from your anchored boat. Be patient and let them find it. Later in the day, when the water has warmed along the north shore, that "honey hole" might have some fish in it. However, it is still early for the best action on bobber fishing. Better to cast the unweighted bait and let it settle slowly to the bottom. Later, when the water is warmer and the fish more active, they will some up off the bottom for a bobber/bait rig...or a plastic jig.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You can "drag" bait with your boat, but it is difficult to get the same results as from a tube. The breeze is never just exactly right. It is usually too fast and it does not allow you to stop frequently and just let the bait rest on the bottom. You need to be able to move easily, to cover more area, but you also need to be able to stop the motion. Most of the cold water cats we have taken in the last month have hit while the bait is motionless. Later in the year you can move right along and still get plenty of hits.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The best way to use this system from a boat is to anchor up and make your best cast. Let it settle slowly to the bottom. Every 30 seconds or so, lift the rod tip with a shivvering motion to raise the bait off the bottom and move it a foot or so closer. Then let it settle again. If you feel a tap, open the bail and let the fish play with the bait a bit before attempting to pin his lips. Of course, if the fish takes off like a freight train, you can close the bail, let the line come tight and then cross its eyes. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Obviously, you can't catch them where they ain't. If you do not get any interest within two or three slow retrieves to the boat, you need to lift the anchor and drift a few yards and then ease it down again. Better to go slow and work each area thoroughly, rather than sail through, drifting too fast.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Things are changing quickly now. Within a few weeks the fish will all be more active and you'll have a lot more options. For another couple of weeks still, we have to serve up their bait low and slow, and give them plenty of time to move in to find and eat it.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool]It sounds like I'm going to have to be versatile. I'll let you know how I do.

Many thanks for your input.
[signature]
Hey Kevin,

Thanks for all your help with fishing SP on this site and on that other "government-sponsored" board.

I'm hoping that most of the catfish I caught and released last year are still there. Yes, SP gets hit very hard by a lot of anglers, but I didn't see very many folks catch catfish there last year, and I know the UDWR released a ton of channels in there last year.

It's worth giving it a go tomorrow for sure.
[signature]
No problem. Good luck to you! Let us know how you do.

I'll be heading out there a week from Saturday for a little family birthday/bbq/fishing trip (and to break out my father-in-law's new happy birthday surprise canoe as well!).
[signature]