Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What skill??
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]What part of your fly-fishing skills would you like to improve the most? Me? Roll casting.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
[font "Times New Roman"][#ff4040][size 3]Everything![cool] I suck...but I guess it's probably because I just started this last year...probably not! I guess I just need to work on it more often.[/size][/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]
[left][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Hi there Kraizee_Skot at least you are honest. The one concept that helped me the most was thinking about the relationship between the golf swing and fly casting. When I saw how far some of the women could hit a golf ball I finally realized that it is not all power that projects that little white round sucker into the wild blue yonder. It is the timing of the release. That is if you break your wrists to early on the down swing all the power has been expended. The next time you go out work on the timing of your release.[/size][/green][/font][/left]
[signature]
[font "Times New Roman"][#ff4040][size 3]Man you are just out to get me aren't you Dryrod? Golf and flyfishing! Tried golf once, but I decided I only like to go to the range and see if I could hit the ball. That definitely was not pretty! I have been doing okay with flyfishing though. Thanks for the pointers, I will try next time out (in the yard that is).[/size][/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Where do you like to FF and was is your favorite species?[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
[font "Times New Roman"][#ff4040][size 3]To tell you the truth right now my favorite place is my yard. At least there I won't get any weird looks from people, just my family. The only fish that I have ever caught FF is bluegill out at my uncle's house. He lives in a community where there is a lake around it. Sometimes I go to the local community ponds that they stock and try there, but I have yet to catch anything there.[/size][/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]If I was worried about what other people were saying about my skills, I wouldn't be fly fishing or playing golf. I figure it this way. I have a license to fish and as I recall there wasn't any placed that said I had to exhibit the skills of a pro otherwise I would be banished from the water. Same hold true for the golf course. Too bad that I don't live near you. We could have a good time fly fishing and the heck with the critics.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
[font "Times New Roman"][#ff4040][size 3]I would love to share the water with you anytime Dryrod. I try to make it out to CA once a year to visit my folks, so one of these times I should just pack up my gear and try and hook up and do some fishing. Looks like your not too far away.[/size][/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]
I was a pure dry fly flinger for many years. I have now switched to nymphing 90% of the time. I nee to learn a lot more about nymphing before I can say that I know what I'm doing.
[signature]
Hi Dryrod,

Roll Cast! I've been schooled by 50 different guys whose jobs it is to teach such and been able to do a beautiful roll cast in 3 minutes time.

Problem is ...... I can go back 10 minutes later and prove I have 'unlearned' everything I supposedly 'got'.

I try ....... honest!

JapanRon
[signature]
well for me it would have to roll cast. i have been doing fly fishing for about 2 1/2 years and i used it all the time when i fished but i just couldn't get the roll cast down pat.
[signature]
Unfortunately, it's something you can't practise on dry ground. Real easy however, lift your rod straight up to slightly behind you. Let your line hang slightly behind you, then with force, point the rod tip where you want to go. The trick is getting the line off the water to do a roll cast correctly. With a nymph you have to move a little faster to get the nymph to the surface to use a roll cast. Dry's however are much easier.
[signature]
thanks flygoddess. i will try that the next time i go out and fly fish.
[signature]