Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm heading to Fishlake...
[blush], [#800000][size 3]I'm heading down to Fishlake on sat. I'm looking any advice I can get. I been there once few years back. I want to get my first mac. Where to go, what to bring, and baits?[/size][/#800000]

[#800000][size 3][/size][/#800000]

[#800000][size 3]thx tomegun [/size][/#800000]
[signature]
TomE- Check down quite a few posts and you'll find good info. I was there last week and agree with what was said except that, as the Banjo Minnow guy says, we caught "mo fish, bigger fish and mo bigger fish."[cool] Catch perch on about anything with a worm and/or perch eye on it in shallow. Then head out for deeper water as they said and get some big uns. Go to the east side by the lava slides if you can. Fish from early until noon, take a nap, then go out again about 3:30 and fire it up again.[blush] Good luck. We had beautiful weather and even saw many bald and golden eagles as a bonus. Tried Mill Meadow and got nothing. MrLipripper
[signature]
Personally I think BLM was onto something when he was asking about the perch. As we all know perch can hang deep and why wouldnt the macks feed on them? I am not sure what the regs are down there, but if its legal I may chunk a strip of perch meat on a tube and drop that through the ice. Or if the regs allow, just pop a whole perch down there and jig it. I dont know what else the lakers have to eat in there. Hope you get a big one.
[signature]
Even though I have caught many lakers there using a chunk of perch, my question is, Why would a mack eat a spiny little perch when it could eat a smooth skinned rainbow, sucker, or chub. All of these are present in the lake. Also, due to the stunted size of the perch , it seems that nothing much is feeding on them.
[signature]
[#800040]I was wondering. Can you use live perch for bait at Fishlake? We have done the perch strips before. I was thinking maybe a perch can be used like a live minnow. It's done that way in the midwest with shinners/suckers. I've seen post say to use 1/8 to 5/8 oz to get to the "macs". I'm thinking of lip hooking some perch and let it fall in the deep water. Whole bodies, not just strips. Is this doable?[/#800040]

[#800040]tomegun [/#800040]
[signature]
I've tried a live 4 inch perch there once without any luck, but even though it is legal to use dead perch as bait in Fishlake, I don't know about the legality of using live ones. Which is probably why I haven't done it since. Good Luck!
[signature]
Pieces worked well - strips, head, tail, etc. You can catch 50, I think. They are fun to get using small ice flies. The proclamation lists Fish Lake as one of the lakes that you can use DEAD yellow perch. Neal
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I don't think the type of bait being used matters as long as there is something there especially if you're using a scent. I like the strips on a tube because they add action to the jig if they are hooked up right., whether it be chub, sucker, carp, perch, etc., etc. You just want something that looks, acts, smells, and tastes like a fish because lakers eat a lot of fish.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]It also can depend on what is the preferred pickin's and what food source is available at that time. I know one thing, you won't catch me using live bait or rainbow trout for bait. I hate paying tickets for stupidity; I'd rather buy a new reel.[/size][/font]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Right on, Brother! Nothing meant towards any one individual, just don't want to see a great trip ruined because a guy, whoever, gets caught doing the wrong thing not knowing any better. Live bait can kick some major butt at times. We used to fish live minnows in the SF Bay area. We'd find brushy overhangs in slow water sloughs and throw minnows under the canopy. 2+ lb Black Crappie make fine table fare and fun catching.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Those toothy blue fish, along with several other types, are in the FAQ section, next to the "Who's Online" link. You can create a signature that is uniquely yours and have it come up every time you post. You've seen RipNLip's sig. Pretty fancy and if you believe what he says, he's got a better one in the making. The instructions and programming commands are there also. If you need any help getting one put together give me or anyone a holler and we'll get you fixed up.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Good Luck on Fish Lake and catch some good fish. I expect a killer report even if it's slow. I want to fish that lake and need some killer info so I don't have to reinvent wheels. Later.[/size][/font]
[signature]
[#800040][size 3]BLM, what part of the Bay Area you from? I myself come from the east bay. As you can see I have oevercome that afliction and now reside in Arum[Wink]. I will post a full report on the miSadventures of Fishlake. We will slice and dice some perch, shinners, suckers[angelic], and worms if need be. I'm gonna hate getting up at 2:30am. , tomegun [/size][/#800040]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I'm an East Bay boy too! Born in Walnut Creek and raised in Antioch. Graduated from Antioch High! Small world![/size][/font]
[signature]
BLM I aren't a expert on Fish Lake but I do fish is alot in the winter and as the ice comes off Smile

Anytime ya need a partner there just let me know and I'll meet ya there
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]If and when I head down that way I most definitely will keep you in mind. Thanks for the offer! [/size][/font]
[signature]
[Wink][#800000][size 3], We used to chase girls in Walnut Creek. I'm from Castro Valley just other side of the canyon. I coached baseball/football at Castro Valley high school for 9 years, then I did two more years at Bishop O'dowd. Then, I fled to zion [laugh].[/size][/#800000]

[#800000][size 3][/size][/#800000]

[#800000][size 3]tomegun[/size][/#800000]

PS-i'll never go back to california willingly
[signature]
Hate getting up at 2:30??? Who's going to bed? I probably won't sleep a Wink.
[signature]
[cool][cool][cool] [#800000][size 3]I'll sleep when I get this cast off[cool][cool][cool] Pepsi will keep me awake until then. [/size][/#800000]
[signature]