Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lindon report 5-18, (5 species day!)
I got off early from work and hit Lindon harbor. I fished for a few minutes from shore, then launched the float tube. It was quite an evening. I had steady action for crappies around the cattails and stick-ups. It wasn't super fast, but I was getting hits all evening, and lost count on how many I caught. The other speices decided to join in. I also caught bluegills. some white bass, a mudcat, and 2 channel cats. The first went 25 inches and the 2nd 23 1/2 inches. Great fun on light tackle! I released them to bioaccumulate more PCB's but kept a small meal of crappies and gills for my monthly allowable contamination [Wink] then C&R ed the rest of what I caught. I was using a roadrunner type jig with a "slider" brand plastic on it, tipped with worm for most of the day, and in the evening, a chartreuse grub on the roadrunner, tipped with worm. I was happy to see that the white bass were all quite small, from last years "class", suggesting that they may be on the rebound.

It looked like the marina was pretty busy with power boaters, but there weren't too many anglers heading out. I hope the marina doesn't lose too much business from this PCB problem that it can't make a go of it. [unsure] Anyway, tight lines.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Great report. Sounds like the warming waters have gotten all the fishies active. I love those multi-species days. I refer to them as a "grand slime".[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I love those slider grubs too. And, I make my own Roadrunner heads. Great combo for many species.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Don't worry about the power squadron being scared off by a little PCB. I think some of those folks would run their PWC in a toxic waste dump.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Do you have a pic of those TD??..I would like to see what a roadrunner and a slider grub is.
[signature]
[#505000]Well the PCB won't stop my fishing activties. I enjoyed a fine meal last night of PCB laced catfish... MMmmm mmm good!![/#505000]
[#505000][/#505000]
[#505000]I at this point intend to ingest enough PCB's that when I die embalming won't be nessecary. [Tongue][/#505000]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Here is a [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=178507;#178507"]LINK TO A POST[/url] that I did on Slider Grubs back in Jan 05. It has pics of the different colors.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Also attaching pics of plain RR heads, for attaching plastic, and some RR heads that I decorate as bait bugs.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Putting a slider grub on a spinner enhanced jig head is double deadly.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[signature]
I'm sure TD will have a lot more to say on this, but I had my stuff out from last night, and snapped a pic.

The top left is a roadrunner. They come in a variety of sizes and colors and can be piurchased at SW and Cabelas.

The jig below that is called a "Charlie Bee" Same idea, except the willow blade is not fixed in its position and rotates. Personally, I like these a little better, and that was what I was using yesterday. Cabelas carries them locally, but I get most of mine online at
[url "http://www.fishingworld.com/Slider/"]http://www.fishingworld.com/Slider/[/url]

On the right are slider grubs. Instead of a tail, they have a padddle on the end. Nice little grub to have for eyes, bass, and panfish.
[signature]
I saw the picture and I was wondering, do you just jig those things or cast them out like lures and reel them back in? You catch Bass, Crapie and bluegill with those eh tubedude?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]You can fish them like any other plastic lure. You can fish them vertical jigging or cast and retrieve. The size and style of the head you use can make a difference in how you fish them too.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]They come in larger sizes...like the 3" models. Those are great to fish like Senkos...weightless...or with light heads.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The paddle tail really is active with even a slow retrieve. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have caught many different species on them, including quite a few small inshore species of salt water fish. One of the best jigs ever for crappies, bluegills and bass. Trout like 'em too.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks guys for the pics!!.I will have to try some of those next I hit UL.
[signature]
[cool]Since TD's weblink to sliders didn't come across, here's a link:

[url "http://www.fishingworld.com/Slider/"]http://www.fishingworld.com/Slider/[/url]

Those things are killer, but I always forget to order them, or when I do remember I'm out of cash, but I want to get some of them bad!!
[signature]
[Wink]Thanks again Mr. Wizard,,,,i mean TubeDude. You da man
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Oopsie! Forgot to make the link. Done now.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
This is all excellent information and yet another excuse for me to go shopping:

Wife: Where are you going?
Me: I need to go shopping.
Wife: What are you going to buy?
Me: I need some sliders
Wife: What's that?
Me: They are for the yard.