Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard...Windy, Wet, Wiperless 6-9-06
[cool][#0000ff]There was a pretty rainbow reflecting off the calm waters of the south marina when TubeBabe and I got ready to launch about 6:30 AM this morning. I wondered if the rain producing the rainbow was headed our direction. No worries. It moved north. But there would be plenty more coming in from the south later.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I couldn't believe it. We had not even got our tubes launched when two noisy ski boats full of "merrymakers" drove up, made a quick launch and roared out onto the lake. It wasn't even 7 AM and they were racing up and down the dikes at full speed, within feet of the rocks. That pretty much killed my original plan to toss some jigs inshore for an early eye or wiper.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There is much less inflow coming into the channel now, so it was warmer...about 67 degrees. The outside lake was 68 degrees and then cooled later when the storms hit.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Not being able to fish in the skiers playground, next to the dikes, we kicked out into deeper water and tossed a lot of different lures, watching for fish on the sonar. Not many and they were mostly suspended...sulking, not feeding. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Switched to soaking minnows...one on a long "flyline", with no weight, and one under a bobber. We were out in about 20 feet of water and when my bobber dove under I thought WIPER!. Nope. Just a bitty kitty. Man, was he ever where he wasn't supposed to be.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]No other action with the bobber rig, but we did get some hits on the free rigged minnows. A couple were freight train hits that had to be wipers. The only fish we hooked were more of the pesky little cats. We ended up keeping a few for dinner. They are great that size.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I had remarked to TubeBabe, on the walkie talkie, that the big dark cloud to the south looked ominous. I said that if it came north we would get wet. It did and we did. When it hit there were strong offshore winds and pouring rain. We were soaked within minutes. We had worn only light sweatshirts, not raingear. Heck, it had been almost 100 degrees two days before.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]We had to really work to get back inside the marina in the strong offshore wind. All of the boats that had gone out also came back in...including the noisemakers. They were actually trailered and gone by the time we hit the ramp.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Then, while we were on the ramp, getting our gear loaded back into the car, a strong gust of wind lifted my Super Fat Cat back down into the water and started sailing it across the water. TubeBabe quickly pulled her fins back on and mounted up her Fat Cat to give chase. Fortunately, the wind suddenly dropped and she was able to chase down my craft before it hit the west side of Willard.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Of the boats we talked to, that had been fishing, one had one walleye and another had one wiper. Kinda slow morning.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]But, as we drove away, wet and shivvering, the lake had turned to glass again. I hate that lake.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool]Holy cow, Pat! You guys really do live in the fast lane, don't you? Talk about adventures... I drove to work in that downpour all the way from Layton til Bountiful it was raining cats and dogs. That was at about 8:30 or so. At least you guys scored some dinner, and that the Tubemiestermobile was rescued...
[signature]
How can you not love that lake. It is always full of excitment. Water skies that love to take your gear for a ride. Skeeters to give you love bites all over. Then there is the weather to make things even more exciting. Personally I think you just being picky in your old age. [Wink]
[signature]
once again, you two ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
to bad the weather didn't corperate for ya to enjoy more of the day. [cool]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Hey, I resemble that remark. I have been accused of worse...by better.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I guess it's true. Some people are only happy when they have something to gripe about. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Maybe I should join Whiners' Anonymous. That's a bar where you go to drink and complain...and nobody knows who you are.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Beautiful shot of the rainbow Pat. I was admiring it from my bedroom window this morning hating the thought of having to go to work. By 8:30 or so the wind started blowing and the rain started falling. You and TB are brave soldiers. Despite all the rain and wind, I'm fairly certain it still beat the best day at the office.[Wink][cool]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Thanks, Bro. I have acquired the reputation for being a "fair weather fisherman". I thought I had better take some pics to document that I got some brass too.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have been a semi-serious photographer for quite a few years and I have reels of slides on sunsets, clouds and rainbows. Love 'em. That was only a partial this morning but I kinda liked the way it reflected off the water and ended on my tube. Pot of gold and all that. Well, maybe a pot of anchovy smelly jelly.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]After I shot the first pic, the light changed a bit and for just a few seconds there was the hint of a second rainbow beside the first. I have quite a few double rainbow shots. This one (see attached) you have to look hard to see the second one starting to the right of the main one.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Pat I wondered if that was you with all them lightning rods sticking up! I was the on in the 14' aluminum that passed by you 2 just outside the buoys! Yes soaking wet cold and shivering!! we were loaded up and gone before you guys got in or I would have helped retreive your craft. I did manage 1 wiper just south of the feed lot,man i love the smell of pigs!! M.H.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Whyn'tcha say sumpin? Is this you in the attached pic?[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Yeah, spending time downwind of that pig factory can really clear your sinuses...and purge your stomach contents.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]It was so nice spending so little time with you on the water. We must NOT do THAT again sometime.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Nope we were east of them closer to the bank, they left about 15 min before us.If the weather wouldnt have been so sh1#%y I would have stopped over and bs,d you!
[signature]
We were out on Thursday, caught 9 walleye and 4 wipers, but didn't do much last night. Don't know if it was the boat traffic or what, but it was tough. No eyes.
[signature]
Single main, no kicker. Wink