Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Banzi run to willard
Took the family out to willard tonight for the last few hours of daylight. Left the marina about around 7:45. Just as we were leaving the bouys I saw some fish jumping out of the water so I made a few casts and got nothing. We then headed north west for a bit. I was trying a couple different things with the outboard so I was goofing around for the first little bit. By the time we got seriuos we only had about an hour left. Threw out the lines and started trolling and looking for the boils. My son ended up catching a nice fat 19" wiper. We then started seeing some boils but I could never get close enough to them before they would quit. I tried speeding toward them and them drifting into them with the motor off. Sure wish I had an electric! I tried that a few times but the fish always seemed to be about 100 yards out.
I was wearing than dang cursed hat of mine so thats why I didn't get anything! All in all we saw about 7 different boils and saw a couple groups of 6-10 boats all huddled up, but I didn't get very close to them.
[signature]
[black][size 3]Is that a "lucky" fishing hat you refered to ? [/size][/black]
[black][size 3][/size][/black]
[black][size 3]The easiest and most efficient catch and release technique is to never hook up in the first place. That's the method I seem to end up using. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]If your hat has had a successful track record as you indicate, I admire your sportsmanship for remembering to bring your "lucky" fishing hat. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Have you considered looking for a "catching" hat to add to your wardrobe that you could call "lucky". Just a thought.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]One last thing - if you were lucky enough to get out fishing, maybe that hat DID work ?[/size][/black]
[signature]
It's this dang free hat that I got form one of our valued members. It has "petty" well ruined my catching rate, but it hasn't hurt my sons catch rate. I don't know if he has been skunked yet this year.
I have my old catching hat waiting to make its return to the water next time out.
[signature]
Doh![Wink] lmao[Tongue]
[signature]
My son and I were one of those boats you saw huddled up but we did not do much better than you did. We got there about 7pm after
wading threw all the wrecks on the freeway, what a mess. We ended up catching two trolling and two throwing into the boils. We were already in the area when the boils just came up around us, we shut the motor off and started casting. It was cool watching the boil form, we started marking shad close to the surface, then the shad started hitting the surface, then the wipers started tearing into the shad. I saw the same thing in the North marina but never saw the wipers busting them up. I think I'll go out and try it again this evening, what a blast. With two high water years in a row,
there seems to be a huge amount of shad this year, it makes me wonder how long the top water action will last this year.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2][#002850]Hey there Elk, try 3/8 oz Kastmasters in the blue/chrome color. They cast a LONG ways and it's JUST what those boiling wipers want. E---haaaaaaaaaa[/#002850][/font][/size]
[signature]