Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
pineview report 7-21-06
hit pineview at about 6:00 am trolled through the weeds for awhile before my brother hooked up with a monster log. when the line broke I thought for sure that 10 dollar bil was gone. But next thing I knew he was over board and swimming to the surface with that lure couldnt beleive he actually found it. After that we headed back to the shallows were we thaught my daughter coud catch a few crappies but when we arrived we saw about 10 to 15 diffrent tigers cruesing the surface tryed everything in the box trying to hook up with one with no luck. Must not of had the right stuff. Daughter did get a few hits on a jig but was unable to hook up either. so we called it around 11:00 and headed for willard. When we got there we left the marina and about 100 yards out brother hooked a kitty and friend hooked a wiper bro boated friend didnt. that was the only thing that even attempted to eat are lures.
[signature]
Thanks for posting your report MM. Thats tough, seeing that many crusing tigers and they didn't want to play. What lure was being used when the wiper was caught? WH2
[signature]
A charteuse curly tail Jig trolling 2mph
[signature]
where'd you see the tigers at?
[signature]
I dont know what it is called but if you stay on the north side of cemetary point go all the way back into the shallows they were in 4 to 5 feet of water. p.s. if you know how to catch them in that situation please let me know!!!!!!!!
[signature]
I'll take a try at them next time I am up there. What were you throwing at them? Any buzz baits or "spooks?"
[signature]
When they are like that you have to really provoke them. I start with a buzzbait, if it chases them away then they would not have bitten anyway. If I get a follow I switch to a big bladed, lightweight spinnerbait, 3 casts, switch to a big crank like a rapala J-13. A follow means stop the lure, twitch, pull 1 foot, stop, twitch....
Last try is with a big plastic, 5", no weight, same tritch, pause tactic. I have all 4 rods pre rigged so I can just set one down and grab another. With a 2 pole permit I can leave the Rapala or the plastic out there and actually get a fish to follow another lure to it.
If you get a follow to the boat, do not take the lure out of the water, keep working it back and forth along side the boat. I've watched Muskies go under my boat and wait, after as much as 2 min of back and forth with the lure they strike.
[signature]
caught mine on saturday with the same "at the boat" type of tactic after about 20 seconds...just twitching a jointed rapala down the side of the boat after a follow.
[signature]
I think they follow and then use the boat as a big covering log to set up the ambush from. It works.
Never leave fish you can see working.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]A lot of times when the tigers come up to the surface, and even cruise with their heads out of water, they are not "working". They are suffering from heat stress and oxygen depletion. They are native to colder and more oxygenated water and Pineview gets a bit unfriendly to them in hot summer.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Lots of guys get excited this time of year when they see the surfacing tigers, thinking they are feeding. Not so. You really have to work to get a reaction bite.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Correct you are about oxygen and stressing in pineview.
But if you see the fish "working" that is eating anything from perch to frogs to leeches, even bugs, keep after them till they strike.

Tigers are native to few waters, even the St Lawrence seaway where I guided muskie has very few naturally occuring hybrid tigers. "Norlunge" is the proper term. Northerns like the bays and slow water, Muskies like some deep water and current.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]There is usually little doubt when the fish are "working"...as opposed to stressing. I usually take my cue when I start missing body parts while tubing amongst 'em.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Like a lot of hybrids, tigers can exhibit the best and the worst of both parent species. They seem ideal for Pineview, with the abundant forage base and no other real top end predators. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The recent heat wave has sent a lot of fish looking for deeper, colder and more oxygenated waters. Those big toothy guys will probably turn on again after Labor day, when the power squadron thins out and the water temps drop a few degrees.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have been working on some fancy glittered hologram gold willowleaf blades that I will be putting on some new "tiger-tamer" spinner baits. I also have some new gold glitter 5" shad bodies that I will be custom dyeing into perchlet patterns. Now, if I can find a pair of waders made of chain mail, I am just about ready to tube up a few tigers.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Let me know when your going up. You can't beat a good chum line![Wink]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Right, chum.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Now were you referring to me being the "chummee"? [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Or do you get seasick in your boat and "chum" with your leftover breakfast?[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Anyhooters, chumming is illegal in our enlightened state.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Yes pat, i was referring to your mangled legs chumming up some tigers for me. I know it is illegal in Utard![Wink]
[signature]