Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marjorie Lake, BAM!!!
So it finally happened today. Myself and NKUNZ set off to find the grayling i have wanted my whole life.[Smile]
We left the parking lot at about 7 am and began our 2 1/2 mile hike through the high uintas. It was a wonderful temp and with high hopes and excitement we stopped only long enough to look at Baldy in the foreground. It took about an hour to get there and when we arrived the lake was beautifully calm with an occoasional rise. We saw 1 deer and one elk on the way in. Skin heads, sorry stick flickers![Wink]
We started at different ares of the lake because i was eyeing the inlet. It proved fruitless. Meanwhile, Neldon was busy getting double hook-ups![Sad] He had caught 5 or 6 before i even had a bite. I moved over near him and we headed to the dam where they were visibly more active. I put on a red ant, that was Neldons secret weapon, and my 3rd cast i finally had my grayling in the net. Took a photo-op and released him. Over the next several hours , i landed 5 more grayling and a nice brookie. Neldon landed 19 fish with 1 brookie.
I caught a nice sized one and decided to eat him on the shore of the lake with a cup of noodles. Both were awesome. After lunch i got serious again.
[Tongue] At about 1:30 i decided with the surface activity that i would try and fulfill my second goal, get one on a flyrod. After about 15 misses, i finally caught the first flyrod and biggest grayling of my life. He was about 13 or so inches long and boy was he scrappy.
At about 3 pm, we decided we'de had enough and hit the trail. I am in so much pain right now that i can't see straight.[mad][crazy][pirate] It was however, worth every bit.
We caught fish on a plethora of flies today, but the best by far was a red and. Here are some cool pics.
Thank you so much Neldon for a trip i will never forget![Smile]
There is also a pic of my lunch partner[cool] and a hikin buddy[cool] on the way out. Enjoy. Yeah, yeah, the date is wrong.
[signature]
Great report... Thanks for sharing. I got into the grayling in the Wind Rivers a few years back... They fight well, are good table fare, but the best thing about them is how beautiful they are! [Smile]
[signature]
The one i caught on my fly rod was endowded with beautiful blue spots on the dorsal and tail fin. They are probably one of the most awesome fish i have ever caught. The sturgeon takes the cake for awesome though. I can't wait to get up there again after my muscles heal![pirate][pirate]
[signature]
Here is lunkerhunter2 and one of his prize fish. It was a great trip. A beautiful day for a hike and fishing in the Uintas. Thanks for inviting me along.
[signature]
super nice pic,s! thanx. those fish are pritty!!!!
[signature]
man you got to love them high moutan lakes! if nothing else it a very beautiful area!

good job on gitting your prize dude!!
[signature]
Thanks for the report,its always great to catch a species you never have before
[signature]
How did you get that little sucker to hold still for that pic ?? they would not hold still for me for just 10 seconds. neat little fish though. later chuck
[signature]
Well done Brody. They are a fun fish to catch. Hiking the Uintahs wasn't my problem, my arms got tired from casting all day long.
[signature]
Looks like a good time. I really enjoy it up there. I hpe for one more trip into Marjorie this year, but with hunting season now upon me, I dont think it will happen. Seemed like you got into a few nice ones!
[signature]
Great report and Pics!
[signature]
Sure is nice up there. That is the lake I caught my first grayling out of as well. The Uintas sure are great.
[signature]
Great report LH. When its time for me to head up, I'm gonna pick your brain a little and see if I can have even half the luck you did. Great job!
[signature]
Most of the thanks goes to NKUNZ. Without him i would have not had the experience. I forgot to mention that i was planning on fishing the way wrong area. I was under the impression that i had to start right above Smith and Morehouse. I later found out that that is where Round, Sand and the others are. I am very glad i didn't go by myself.[cool]
[signature]
I love that area; Marjorie Lake is so much fun.
Glad you had so much fun, and thanks for posting those great pix!
[signature]