Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
toon motor in the back
Finally tried it out Sunday afternoon at Magic Reservior with the motor in the back. I took the head off and made some extension for the wiring so I could have the controls up by me. It worked nice I will just need to mount the head some where so it's not loose.

Had a good breeze but I was along the shore out of the main brunch of it and trolled along just fine with some "roadrunners" following. Maybe got a bump but thats all. A gentleman on shore did well with a worm and marshmellow.

Think I like the motor back there!
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]We just went to Radio Shack and bought a small metal box (5" L x 3" W X 2" H) then a big radio knob. Took the reostat out of the head, put it in the middle of the box then added the Knob with some stick on numbers for forward and reverse. The wiring loom is about 4' long so I can put the box anywhere.[/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I took these pictures with items so you can figure the sizes:[/size][/font]
[Image: Motor001.jpg]
[Image: Motor003.jpg]
[Image: Motor004.jpg]
[signature]
Thanks Flygoddess,

That helps alot. How did you make it so the reostat wouldn't move inside the box? I will have to look at the handle and see how the handle separates from the reostat. That setup would be a lot less bothersome than trying to find a place for the head, [crazy].

Thanks again!
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]The reostat should be a little motor/gear type thingy (was that girly enough for you....I almost hurt myself with that one LOL)[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Anyway, about the width of a silver dollar and maybe 1 to 1 1/2" thick with the post in the middle which you will drill a hole in the box and insert it.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
Well I have discovered a problem with my reostat, seem to only work on 2 spots both in reverse and forward ( 2 speeds in bothe directions instead of 5 in forward and 3 in reverse. Any ideas?
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Wow, not a clue. Is it an older model? Could a wire have come loose.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]If you got first gear, then you are good, cause if the wind picks up you can always row.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
[black][size 3]Hey idahopanfish,[/size][/black]
[black][size 3][/size][/black]
[black][size 3]I have taken both of my trolling motors apart to rotate the top 180 degrees (the head unit) so that I could mount the motor on the front. Both motors were different. One a Minn Kota 30 # and the other was a Gamefisher 15 #. I have also since put them back together and they both still work.

I am presumming that you have removed the cowling already. True ? [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]When you turn the handle on the head unit(before you took it apart) did it click into place at each of the individual positions ? or did it rotate smoothly(like a fishing reel drag) ?[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Compare the relative positions of the knob where you find that is does work now with the positions where it worked before you disassembled it. Note specifically which positions still work and those that do not.

Check for loose wires. Then, check the knob stem that it has enough pressure to make contact internally. Sometimes these things are put together such that the cover adds to the structural integrity and keeping the things in the proper position to function.

If you are still having problems, put the thing back together and see if it still works. If it does, start over and this time check that it works on every step as you disassemble it. What you did on the step at which it stops working, will be the thing you need to address.

With out more information, it will be difficult to diagnose further.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Good luck and Let us know. [/size][/black]
[signature]
I will look at it more thuroughly in the next few days and I willl be more specific in what I find. I am wondering if another Radio shack reostat (if they have them) would be a possibility if this one just won't fix.
[signature]