Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Temps and such
Well, the temperature is going to drop soon and im wondering, how long does it take a large lake to freeze at what temperatures?
[signature]
sorry there is no mathmatical equation I can give you that would be standard for any lake.

every lake has its own set of variables.

size, depth, wind shear, springs, in flow and out flow of streams, depth of the thermalcline from the prevous summer.

parts of any lake can freeze a foot thick while other parts may only be a mear inch or to or even just crusted over....

its a bad idea all together to try to guess the quality of ice making conditions, I know a lake with a foot and a half of ice in january and february parts of it are just crusted over, holding snow even, yet if you try to walk over it you best have your affairs in order.

your best bet is to listen to the guys who fish that lake in the winter, check conditions as you walk out and check the ice thickness every step with a spud especialy if it is first ice or you have had thaws refreezes rains and freezes again.

being the first on the ice is not the same as being the first to have a ripe tomato in your garden, If you pic a tomato a day or two to early you can set it in the window to finish ripening, if you step out on the ice to early, you may not be able to set foot any where else ever again.
[signature]
when i go out on a pond,lake during first ice i drill my way out,ckecking the thickness every few feet,better safe than sorry.the ice thickness changes very fast.

i dont know dave,we might be icefishing from a boat this year.almost dec.and it still hitting the 60 degree mark.i have only had 3 good frosts this year.and alot of rain
[signature]
good method,

I have a 20 pound spud that I thrust with a fair amount of thrust in to the ice every step, (that is about every 3-4 feet) You are absolutly right, better safe than sorry, and Ice thicknesses can change in as short a distance as one step to another with out any differance in aperance. that is why so many people fall though every year.

if it goes threw then there is less that 3 inches of ice and I turn around and go back the way I came. If not the next step could be my last.
[signature]
Whenever I go trapping, I use a long ice prod made out of rebar, with a spade welded to one end, and a T like handle on the top. It works quite well.
[signature]
by all definitions, thats a spud [cool]

mine is a soft steel bar with a ring welded to the top and and a tryangular wedge welded to the bottom.

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=19804;]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=19806;]

this one is over 40 years old, passed on to me by the maker, my father...
[signature]
Mine looks very similar to that.
[signature]