Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
weber today
Well, i did it. I decided to do a fly only trip with a friend and my little boy.
Started in Mt green with nymphs and a few buggers with no luck. Moved down the river about 1/4 mile and let my friend hit the "hole". First cast, 19" cutt! He fought it for about 5 minutes before it would give up. 3# tippit and a newbie. Never thought he would get it in. He did and he had his biggest fish on a fly rod.
We were each using the same basic set-up. A big prince or p.t. and one of the flouro bunnies i tied for the swap. Man them fish love them. I made 3 or 4 casts with no hits. We eventually had to leave because the cold started setting into my 3 year olds bones. It was damb cold. +16 degrees! The river is in winter stage. Low and clear.
[signature]
What a hearty soul you are!! sounds like a fun day.
[signature]
Surprised to hear about a cutthroat in that area. Sounds like a fun time.
[signature]
Actually, i catch about 1 cutt for every 10 browns in that stretch.
[signature]
Just curious are you working the area between the rest stop and teh train bridge, or up above the Bridge. Growing up, up there i never did well there but always did pretty good up around the Stoddard.
[signature]
Above the train bridge.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Being a Provo River girl, I have fished the Weber up at the bridge going into the camp ground of Rockport and caught brown the size of Lunker, and I have fished the outlet(I guess) by the freeway for the river at Echo and caught some monsters (not sure that is accessible anymore, been a long time) Also, under the bridge by Little Chicken Inn or whatever that is called.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]I need to get to the Weber more cause Provo is to much Combat Fishing, any help would be appreciated.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
I am not very familier with the lower Weber but I fish the Middle Weber quite a bit November through May. There are several places between Wanship and Coalville that have either "state easment" or "walk in access". Look for the little ladders over the fences and the DWR signs. You can see some of them from the freeway then find access roads to them. You can park at the rail trailhead just across the road from the Spring Chicken Inn and walk along the rail trail. The fishery is not as asthetic as the Provo ( unless you really like wadding through cow manure on the way to the stream) and is dominated by whitefish particularly in the winter. I fished yesterday and caught 9 whitefish and 3 browns. This is pretty typical. But all day (on a friday) I did not see another fisherman. This is one of the reasons I like the Weber. The fish (both whitefish and browns tend to be a little bigger than what I typically catch on the Provo. Yesterday the whitefish ranged from 10 inches to 17 inches and the browns were 15,17, and 20 inches ( OK 19 1/2) respectively. The dry fly action is not like the Provo. Yesterday midges were hatching all day but I saw exactly one fish rise to the surface. This is quite typical in the winter. Nymphing is the way to go.
[signature]
Thanks for the report, like I said, I have never really explored the Weber. If all goes well I will meet Lunkerhunter and djremo Monday morning and they can show me where some honey holes are....but I ain't tellin' where[mad].
Think I will try my 4wt glass on this, could be fun. As long as there are no SKUNKS up there if you know what I mean[Wink]
[signature]
djremo has bailed out.[Sad] Overtime $$$ is too much of a temptation.
As far as "SKUNKS" go, i have seen a few but they usually run away when they see me.[Wink]
[signature]
STOKED! I will get ahold of you tomorrow night.
[signature]
Just returned from 2 hours fishing at mountain green. Was going to go yesterday but remembered the last nice warm sunny day up there I did get skunked. Got a little rain and snow but no skunk even if fishing was a little slow. Caught 4 browns from 15 to 19 inches on size 10 tungsten bh prince and pearl zonkers. The 19 inch took about 5 minutes to persuade out of a big pool on my 7 1/2 three weight pole. No whities or other trout this time.
[signature]
Not a bad day. Sounds like a fairly good trip to me.
F.G. had other priorities so our trip is cancelled for tomorrow. I think it will be a better day for duck hunting anyway. I will probably hit it later this week.
[signature]
just curious as to what nymphs you are using during the winter months.

Joe
[signature]
Shark hunter,
Try glow bugs, larger ( size 12 - 14) hears ears, prince nymphs or pink scuds as "attractors" and size 16 - 18 pheasant tails, brassies, sow bugs or gray scuds as droppers. By the way, cute baby. Good luck!
[signature]
thanks. I need to get out there again.

Joe
[signature]