Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is there such a thing as #4 sinking line?
[mad][font "Times New Roman"][size 3]For Stream fishing, in waters a foot deep or so, using a Dry line with a Scuffed up leader will suffice to fish Nymph’s or these little Gnats, Ants and Skeeters.[/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3] [/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]However in a Lake, fishing for Crappie where the line has to go down several feet to get into the fish I think I want a sinking line. At least it seems that way to me now![/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]I don’t want to tie in a length of Lead Core line or use a split shot on a fly. Casting that kind of stuff makes you look like your fighting the wind for supremacy.[/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]I was in the Jackson MS BassPro shop today. Those guys had Light colored floating line for the #4, and sinking line for #5 and higher, but no sinking line for the #4.[/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]A Prima Facie case of prejudicial Discrimination![/size][/font]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"] So here I am drawing on the experience of the crowd. [/font][/size]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Is there such a thing as a #4 sinking line?[unsure][/size][/font]
[signature]
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Ah yes my friend there is something out there for every one. Personally I favor S&A or Orvis lines.[/size][/green][/font]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Here is some info on S&A sinking lines:[/size][/green][/font]

[#800000][font "Poor Richard"][size 3]Wet Cel Fast Sinking Fly Line - A "must have" for still water fishing when the fish are feeding below the surface. Type II sinks @ 2" - 3.25" per sec. - green color, Type III sinks @ 3.25" - 5.5" per sec. - green color, Type IV sinks @ 3.37' - 6.5' per sec. - gray color.[/size][/font] [/#800000] [center][font "Arial"][#800000][size 2]WF_S Type II Sinking[/size][/#800000][/font][/center][#800000][font "Arial"][size 2]4 - 10 wt.[/size][/font]
[font "Arial"][size 2]$30.90[/size][/font] [/#800000] [center][font "Arial"][#800000][size 2]WF_S Type III Sinking[/size][/#800000][/font][/center][#800000][font "Arial"][size 2]6 - 10 wt.[/size][/font]
[font "Arial"][size 2]$30.90[/size][/font] [/#800000] [center][font "Arial"][#800000][size 2]WF_S Type IV Sinking[/size][/#800000][/font][/center][#800000][font "Arial"][size 2]6 - 10 wt.[/size][/font]
[font "Arial"][size 2]$30.90[/size][/font][/#800000] [center][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][/size][/green][/font][/center] [center][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Hope this meets with your requirements.[/size][/green][/font][/center]
[signature]
I would opt for the line that sinks approx. 3"/sec. This is a little slower to count down in big, deep, lakes, but it also gives you more versatility. I had all three lines, fast, medium, and slow sinking. The slow sinking definitely was the easiest to use and had the most applications. The rapid sink was much harder to cast, and in the event I was fishing in an area rife with snags, but water 3 to 4 feet deep, I dragged bottom by the time I got it in and lost a lot of flies.

If, however, you like to cast your line out from a tube/pontoon boat and kick your feet and troll a streamer, the rapid sink will do well at a certain depth.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Right On DryRod. I would think more II or III for a 4wt. It is still going to be a duck and chuck. I don't go any heavier on a 4wt. You just learn to count down with a sinking line and remember how long you waited to get in the zone.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]You will also have to decide if you want Density Compensated (which will sink uniformaly) or a wet cell (which sinks with a belly in the line which is recommended for weedy waters)[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]I had sinking lines for my 3 weight. Great for those Uinta lakes and some of those lakes are 50+ feet deep.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
Well, thank you buddy. That's a Hatfull of information.

Oddly enough I had been to the Orvis site this evening and I did not see any #4 Sinking line.

One more question brought on by your answer.
At the BassPro shop they listed a line with two initials. Similar to your choice of S&A.

I did not see a weight listed on the package.
I didn't ask, but does that missing weight number mean the Lines are Multi-purpose?

We've had a little warm front move in so I may get some River fishing for Rainbow on the morrow.
I'll let you know if I draw any blood with these tiny new flies I got from the Swap.
The Website of the local guy says the Tiny Sow Bugs are working well.
Gnat's and Ant's will always work if the Sow Bugs dont.

Up in Arkansas they tie the Sow bug with a little Gold color Wrapping around his body.

Thanks again for the info.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Like I said I don't know if you want to go much more than a Type II here is Orvis:[/size][/black][/font]
[url "http://www.orvis.com/store/product_choice.asp?pf_id=94HR&dir_id=758&group_id=10657&cat_id=5402&subcat_id=6010"][font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]http://www.orvis.com/store/product_choice.asp?pf_id=94HR&dir_id=758&group_id=10657&cat_id=5402&subcat_id=6010[/size][/black][/font][/url]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Keep in mind, if you have a fast (stiff) rod you can go one up on sinking line cause it is a smaller diameter line.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Not sure about you question with no numbers.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Most will say WF-S (which means sink and the rate shoulb be listed on the box) or WF-Type I, II, III, etc.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]There are a few out there, but like I said, don't be afraid to over line one.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Like flygoddess I don't really know what you mean by no weight listed on the box. Have never seen a fly line box that didn't indicate the weight. Doesn't mean that it is not possible. When I mentioned S&A that refers to 3M Scientific Angler products. I prefer the Mastery Series. Expect to pay over $50 for a good quality fly line. [/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
Some confusnion here....

Dry Rod, I knew you meant Scientific Anglers, I was referring to something BassPro has in a package, in with the Fly Lines, same size box, with a Mfgr's label of two large initials.(my Memory fails me here)
Nothing on the box referred to any Fly line weight. It just left me with questions. I didnt' ask anybody for two reasons.
One: I wasn't going to buy it, whatever it was.
Two: I dont like the feeling of being 'owned' I get whenever I give one of those guys a chance at 'nailing' me as a buyer by asking him a question.

Now Fly Goddess said "dont be afraid to go up a weight if you have a fast rod"
Did you mean I could probably use a #5 Sinking line if my Rod was sturdy enough to cast it?

Well....when I put my rod tip down on the floor (eyes up) and press down.
The Rod tip stays on the floor and the rod flex's to about 1/3rd the length overall.
I've been told that was an accurate way to test for the sensativity of the tip.
If the tip stays on the floor it's a 'Soft' tip. Good for sensing soft bites and holding any hooked fish. Not always good for setting the hook though.
I had an ultra light Trout rig that was so 'soft' I lost lot's of fish because I just couldn't set the hook.

When doing that same test, if the tip pop's up it's a Hard stiff rod, similar to a Professional Bass fishermens rod where he can Jerk the lips off a fish with little effort.

Beyond that, I dont know how to test and evaluate a Fly rod. So I dont know if I have a Fast rod or not.

Today I went to the Sipsy River.
Wonderful clear 55 Degree weather. We have a Cold front coming in and probably wont be able to fish till after Christmas, so I thought I'd get some in today while I had the chance. I was almost alone!

My #4, so light and so much fun was a delight. Rainbow were feeding on the surface occasionally. Slurping.
I went through four of those Fies from the swap. No hits.
I saw one Flash as a Keeper turned away from my Sow Bug.

But then the Gusty winds that always show up in the Afternoon of a High Pressure day caught me.
Casting the light line became a problem.
Ahhhh well. Time for some lunch anyway. That half mile walk back to the car was sure a dejected plodding shuffle.[unsure]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Thudpucker, when flexing the rod, you basically are looking for where it flexes. From what you said, I sounds like you have a med to med/fast action. If the whole thing flexes right down to the butt, that is a full flex. [/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]You should be fine going one heavier (5wt) but like I said think II. and just count down.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Also, take longer on your casts and even try doing it to the side slightly. The line is going to be more sluggish, so bigger loops in your cast.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Type II is noticeable, but really not that hard to cast.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]