Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Okuma reels
Anyone heard of the Okuma reels? They are on clearance sale at Cabelas, and got a couple of good reviews. Not familiar with them myself, but if they're as good as the reviewers say, it would be worth picking up a couple of the smaller models for spares.
[signature]
[black][size 3]Okuma makes a great reel. I don't know which models you are refering to, but, I have a number of Okumas currently in my arsenal and they are not just back-up reels, often in some applications, they are my primaries. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3][/size][/black]
[black][size 3]In thier casting reel format; Magda Pro line counters for trolling and deeper jigging, and, the classic conventional spooled up with lead core. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]For spinning setups; Avenger (both ABF30 and ABF40s ) baitfeeders for catfish and carp.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]I don't think you would be disappointed if you picked up one of thier reels. I have found them to be smooth, well built and pretty reliable.[/size][/black]
[signature]
It is the Okuma Epixor model on sale, EF15, EF20, etc. Based on what you're telling me, I had better pick one up. Thanks!
[signature]
Fishhound is right on with his accessment of Okuma products. I also have Okuma 45L's and they are a sweet reel. The single and only thing I don't like about them is the cheap looking level wind; consenquently, i've never had a problem with them; they just seem flemsy.

I know tubn2 has Okuma reels too, maybe he'll jump in anytime. If I remember right, I believe he has the same model Okuma's I have.
[signature]
Okuma reels are great. I have several of them myself. I do like them.

I have some of the conventional reels which are the Okuma Convectors. Some with level wind and some without. I also have the Okuma Catalina. It is a little more pricey than the convectors but well worth it for the bigger fish.

As far as spinning reels go, I have a few different sizes of the Okuma Coronado. Those have the bait-runner feature on them which is handy for many types of fishing that require haveing a good drag set and not losing your equipment to a fast pulling fish when you are not looking at your gear.[Smile]
[signature]
Very cool--I'm convinced and will order at least one up shortly [cool]
[signature]
CAUTION Take real good care of them cause if something breaks or wares out or rusts... all you can do is throw them away and buy a new reel. I can't find anyone who will repair them. Too complicated and parts not available. I have several Okuma reels and enjoy using them.
[signature]
We have a few repair shops for Okuma on the West Coast. The most I have ever had to do to any of mine is to change the bearings about every 5 years.

They have a new bearing out now that is sonically sealed. They told me that would be the last bearing that I should ever need for my reels. They also gave me a lifetime warranty for those new bearings. Postage included if I need to mail them.

Not a bad deal since they have already used some of us for their R&D work.[cool]
[signature]
I tell you what I want one of, one of those Penn International Torque reels. I know it's a saltwater conventional reel, but it's a value at only a little over 300 bucks. I got the new Cabelas catalogue today and I couldn't believe how cheap they were. They've got a super high speed ratio and of course the famed gold body. I'm pretty sure i'll have one by the time the water starts warming up in March.[cool]
[signature]
I'm flipping a coin between the Torsa and the Tiagra. Either one starts off around 6 bills but they will hold lots of light line for catching a record fish.[cool]
[signature]
If you want to see some expensive reels check out the Japanese spinning reels those guys use to land the 100 pound GT in under 5 minutes.
[signature]
[black][size 3]I've not had any problems with mine as of yet. However, I do take pretty good care of my hardware. General maintenance can go a long ways towards keeping any reel in good working order. I like to make sure that they are clean and oiled on a regular basis. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]But then again, I don't fish in salt water too often - we don't have any out here that have fishable fish in it.[/size][/black]
[signature]
I tell you what, those Van Stall spinning reels are wicked exspensive, but they say they are worth it. I'm still sold on the Torque series Penn. Those are an awesome reel, and would work perfect for me.

When I win the lottery, i'll pick up a couple of those Van Stall spinning reels and send all our BFT members that saltwater fish one to try out.[Tongue] They wouldn't be good for much in fresh water, unless you fish for sturgeon or Alligator Gar. LOL
[signature]
[black][size 3]Hey if you'll send me one I'll go find some sturgeon and gar to fish for ! [/size][/black][Smile]
[signature]
LOL, I tell you what. If I win the big money, i'll fly all the active members to texas so we can all catch an alligator gar. [cool] I'll even buy us all one of those reel just for the heck of it.

I've always wanted to catch one of both anyhow. I don't know what I would do catching a 5 foot long fish in freshwater.
[signature]
Thanks for the reminder--I forget to oil them up for sure.
[signature]
I know the Japanese doen't mess around when it comes to fishing nor fishing gear.[cool]
[signature]
Come on out to Cali. We have some of the best Sturgeon fishing to be done in the States.

Although the Sturgeon are anadromous, they can be caught in Salt, Fresh and in the Mix.[cool]

I am going up to Sacramento this year to hit the Delta. They have always had good Striper fishing as well as the 8 foot boney Dinosaurs aka Sturgeon.[cool][cool][cool]
[signature]
Well, hold your breath. I find out if I won the lottery raffle tonight. It sure would be sweet if I did. I think i'd move to Guam and chase the big Palegics until I die.[cool]
[signature]
Be sure to make a quick pass by Cali on your way to Guam. At least I'll have a chance to see my long lost fishing brother.[cool]

I'll even give you an invite to my stomping grounds.
[signature]