Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mazatlan offshore DEC12
[Smile] The morning started off a little cool not much wind looking pretty good we had a minor problem at the dock which all of us know that have fished nothing is perfect things happen! I was not the least bit concerned I know the quality of the company I was fishing with and the crew. After a short delay we headed out in the 26ft Luhrs one of the smaller boats but fast! My old friend Miguel was not captaining he was acting as the first mate. Which was fine with me because I know his fishing knowledge and experience first hand. We had fished the prier January he put me on the striped Marlin we caught 4 nice striped and had 3 others hooked up in one afternoon so I knew Miguel knows what he is doing. So we bump fist and I told him we might be a little later than other boats to the fishing grounds but we are going to beat them out on the catch. When we got to good water they slowed the boat put out the baits. We trolled about ten minutes and a 15 pound Dorado came in for a look but wasn’t hungry. Approximately 10 minutes later a Sailfish grabbed a bait we hooked him, he jumped, peeled line, jumped more after about 40 minutes he was defeated. We started trolling again it was not long before another strike came and another Sail hooked, and again the fight was on 40 minutes to an hour later the second Sail surrendered. We were again trolling in the same general area the third fish was a little different more aggressive more spunk. I saw the fish riding the surface slashing at the bait not wanting to give up charging and splashing at first I thought it was a dorado but Miguel said no Sailfish! When we hooked this one he was really coming out of the water tail walking, jumping strait up out of the water. Hot action fish ,these are the kind I like to watch.Unfortunetly we were not ready for what happened next, and probably just as well or we might have had quite a situation on our hands. As Miguel was busy clearing the other lines as he knows monofilament will cut monofilament as quick as a knife! A fish grabbed the hard lure started peeling out line, by the time Miguel grabbed the rod the fished jumped clear out of the water spit the hard lure out and was gone. But we got a good look at her, Marlin, we estimated her weight about 300 pounds. Boy was Miguel mad it must have took him ten minutes to get over the loss. A lot of people do not realize it but fisherman love what they do. Most do not make a lot of money but they are very into there job. They want there customers to be as succesful as they can make them. So it bothered Miguel more than me because I was still tied into 60 pounds of muscle fighting for his freedom. We exhausted the third Sail, Miguel said we are going to the buoy and fish live Bonita to try and get a big Marlin. We headed to there spot started twitching little fly's we hooked some 10 inch Bonita's and immediately hooked them live bait style and started trolling. I saw 2 ten to twelve pound Dorado also called Mahi Mahi flying out of the water racing and changing direction I said to Miguel look at that what is that all about he said big Marlin scared them. The big Marlin like to eat them, we had a strike, another Sailfish. While I was fighting this one my line was far to the right I saw a Sailfish jumping right behind the boat splashing and skimming along the top as though he was hooked I was momentarily Confused. I thought it was mine but it was a different fish. The Sailfish were very active that day we had 3 other hook ups that we lost but all all and all we had a pretty productive day! If you would like more pictures,prices,and personal information. You can send me a message or call toll free at 1-866-467-4926 1-866 horizan
[signature]