Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
bait casting reel question
I am looking for some tips and suggestions on being able to fish bait casting outfits with light (less than 1/4oz) lures. Which baitcasters work well for light tackle, are there specific techniques for bait casting light tackle, etc. I would appreciate any input.
[signature]
Only the top end reels will do what you want Shimano and Daiwa I think are the best and freest spools but you will need to spend around $150 or more ....

[signature]
One thing I have tried when I do my monthly walk around the Lehi Temple, is I do the old "spin" test on the baitcasters on display. I pick up the reel, put it in freespool, the loosen the brake or magnetic brake control and then just spin the spool with my finger and see how long it will spin freely. I have done this on a TON of those baitcasters. I have no idea if the reels ability to spin freely has anything to do with its ability to cast light tackle, but it stands to reason. I have found that the higher end Quantum reels spin really well, but havent been super impressed with any but the very high end Shimanos. Pfluegers are not too bad, but for the money, Abu Garcia's new low profile reels (Revos) perform pretty well. There is also a direct corelation between the cost of the reel and its ability to spin--in fact, I would wager that it almost a direct correlation and that there is a consistent dollar/second ratio between the three reels in the Revo line. Anyway, any more thoughts?
[signature]
[black][size 3]Hey trollboy8,[/size][/black]
[black][size 3][/size][/black]
[black][size 3]I think you are on the right track. Generally the higher end reels are better. But, there are exceptions to that rule. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]I have a medium priced Quantum and a higher priced Shimano (and a couple of others) and the Quantum does have a better free spin than the Shimano. And, i have to confess that I like the Quantum better as well - for a variety of reasons. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]My Quantum will cast a 1/4 oz lure, but I have not tried anything lighter than that (I use spinning gear for my lighter stuff). Also, I have not tried anything less than 6 pound line diameter. So, I don't know how it would perform if you were to go with a smaller line. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]I would not take the floor models as a perfect example of the quality of the reel. Those can often times be abused to the point of it having an effect on the apparent performance of the product. And there is a chance that any given reel on display could be a lemon or a returned item.[/size][/black]
[signature]
Well, I was doing the "spin" test on my own volition and not from the prompting of a sales person. It was more curiosity than anything and there is no doubt that higher end reels spin more easily in total freespool--I would have to think that that is due to tighter and more precise tolerances in the moving parts and bearings (kind of like the difference between abec3, abec5, abec 7, and swiss bearings in skate boards and inline skates). I am pretty adept at casting with a bait caster and, frankly, prefer to use baitcasters in most situations, but I do feel limited because I have not been able to master the ability to cast light lures. Essentially I am looking to "take the next step" and trying to figure out if that next step is a matter of equipment or technique.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Free spin is not just a sales point. It's crucial in some applications. As I'm sure you know, live bait for tuna is one. How about pinhead anchovies on #20 - #25 outfits? Try casting a #30 outfit with a clothes pin clipped to the end of your line a distance of 60-80 feet. A free spinning reel is an abosolute but so is your technique. This is a lot harder than a lot of people think.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]As you said, Free spooling is good if you know how to adjust your brake and tension and your casting technique is sound. I know guys that can routinely cast 1/16-1/8 oz jigs with 8 lb test with great accuracy and distance, better than 90% of guys casting the same stuff with spinning reels, but it takes a lot of practice and dedication to master.[/size][/black][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]My recommendation are the Quantum Energy series. Great reels.[/size][/font]
[signature]
Predator and myself having doing the light line thing with baitcasters for a few years(BLM just wants to be me). Like Troutrods said, The higher end reels can throw 1/16 and 1/8th lures better than the cheapos. I use Shimano Chronarchs and Dorkus uses Quantum Energy PTs and Tour Editions(we do every thing different from each other).

I like to fish 4" worms and we both throw tubes with 6-8lb line. Here's the key, practice using your thumb as your brake. Pay attention, not watching what you are doing cause 95% of all backlashes. Have absolutely"NO FEAR", Mistakes will happen. Don't worry just keep on casting. The only time I use a spinning reel is to drop shot now.

[signature]
[reply]
[size 1](BLM just wants to be me)[/size]
[/quote]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]It's my wildest dream to drive a FEDEX truck for a living and live with my parents! Shut the H#$* up! Dumba$$![/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]I can throw light stuff but not with the accuracy or consistency that Predator does. The guy is pretty handy with a baitcasting setup but that's all he does. I like my Energy. The Accurists can't compete with the Energy when it comes to casting. For casting the light stuff, it's pretty much the high end baitcasters. [/size][/black][/font][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]If there is a cheap reel out there that can do it, let's hear what it is. I haven't found one yet. [/size][/font]
[signature]
Why do you want to cast such light stuff with a baitcaster anyway? Put some light braid on a spin reel, and you can effortlessly cast 1/16 and 1/32 oz. stuff and weightless plastics a country mile, with no worries! Baitcasters have no advantage with small baits in any situation. None.

But, if you must, forget all that brake and magnet stuff. Loosen up the cast control and use your thumb. You'll need the spool as free as possible to get enough initial speed started to cast such light baits, then use your thumb to control the overrun. Be sure to use a small reel as well, one of the low-profile models with a small spool.
[signature]
[black][size 3]Soooo, was that a baitcaster you were using when you caught that trophy June Sucker ?[/size][/black]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]You might be surprised at Jim's resume, 'Dude. You've been around the block but so has Jim; a couple times in fact.. Thinking his only qualifications are lake trout is being pretty naive. The guy is pretty diverse in his abilities to catch a lot of different types of fish with most types of tackle. He's been guiding all through North America almost his entire adult life for about every desirable sports species.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]A lot of what Jim says is true. Many reels don't have anything but a tensioning device on the spool and starting the spool with your thumb to get the inertia started is the only way to get the spool rolling with really light stuff. The thumb is the only braking device and learning to use a lot of finesse to "thumb" the spool is the only control in a lot of situations. If you can learn to thumb a reel and control it, having the help of magnetic and mechanical braking devices makes it a cinch. I learned on baitcasters before the advent of brakes and refused to learn how to use them for a while because I didn't need them. Now they spoil me. I don't have to work as hard to control my casts but I can if I have to.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]I'm not trying to make trouble but there are several trains of thought and many opinions on this subject. Jim's opinion is as valid with many good points. I don't see his advice as illegitimate. Just another train of thought on how it should be done. The basic question of this thread was[/size][/black][/font]

[size 1]"Which baitcasters work well for light tackle, are there specific techniques for bait casting light tackle, etc."[/size]
[size 1][/size]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Not what newbies need to know to learn baitcasters. Trollboy8, already an accomplished baitcaster user, was asking about advanced techniques. Anyway, There are several good recommendations and advice posted here. To me, the real answer is both. Good reels and sound technique make casting light stuff with baitcaster very doable and effective.[/size][/black][/font]
[size 1][/size]
[size 1][/size]
[signature]
Just to throw in my two cents, I prefer baitcasting setups no matter what I'm fishing for. The lighter stuff can be more of a thumb control issue but if there is no wind you'll do just fine.
I prefer the Quantums but also have a Pflueger Trion that handles 1/8 oz. jigs pretty good. I must agree with Bassrods about quality=price.
One of the great things about fishing with BC reels is that you really find out how important the rod that's attached to it really is. I was throwing topwaters a couple weeks ago with one of my new rods that 'I just had to get' (St. Croix) but ended up using an old Rapalla rod that suited the reel better and to my surprise it casted better and had a better response.
When I'm smallie fishing and throwing 1/8 oz. jigs I use a Quantum Accurist (501cx I believe) and a Loomis GL2 MH with a fast action. Granted, it's not the most money you could spend on a setup but it's what I have found the most comfortable for me through the experience of several setups. Unfortunately you are going to have to do the same. We all have our opinions and they may help but trial and error, or spoolout, are the only ways you will find out what works for you. I'm kind of stubborn when it comes to my reels and I prefer Quantums so I'd start there [cool]. I'll quit rambling now, my avatar is from Okeechobee. I was throwing a Zoom trickworm with an 1/8 oz. bulletweight on 8# test (very brave I might add) using a Pflueger Trion BC reel. It casts like a dream.
When you find the reel that suites you drop me a pm, I'd like to know. This may have been my longest reply in the last 2 years, left over wine from X-mas and a keyboard-watch out!!!
[signature]
One thing that no one has said is your rod has to be as good as the reel and they both have to be set up to do the lite casting you want to do....

Casting with lite weight is hard but with the right reel rod and line it can be a lot of fun....

The most spin free reel on the market today is the Daiwa 103hsdf reel but they run around $350. or more the ones I have will spin for 30+ seconds and that is about 10 more then most of the rest....

Go to any sporting store and test the reels and time them for your self....

[signature]