Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PROVO RIVER
I went a fished the Provo on Saturday afternoon. The cold and wind seemed to keep people which was fine with me. I found a couple of deep holes loaded with nice rainbows but couldn't get them to hit anything. I tried flies and had no takers. I managed to hook a couple on a white maribou jig but only landed one. I tried a bunch of different jigs and the only one they even looked at was the white one. Kind of frustrating when you can see 20 big rainbows in one hole and can't figure out what they want to eat. Anyway, it was nice to get out and I didn't get skunked.

Hoosier
[signature]
Thanks for the report Hoosier. I have never fished the Provo, but I plan on changing that this summer. Where are some good spots to fish?
[signature]
I've only fished the lower Provo and really there aren't any bad spots. The river has a lot of fish. I like to fish the campground area below the dam and also through town. Almost any deep hole should hold some nice browns.
[signature]
Thanks for the info. Hopefully I can find some nice holes. Have you fished down through town by BYU? I've driven over the river, and I wondered if any fish were there.
[signature]
There are fish down by BYU area but I usually fish around the Riverwoods. It's closer to where I live and there usually aren't many people there. Hope this helps.
[signature]
Hoosier-

Thanks for your report. I live right by the Gold's Gym on 800 N. in Orem, and didn't really now the part of the Provo by the Riverwoods holds some decent browns. I don't want to ask you for your honey holes, but where are some general areas where you can access the river? Isn't most of that private property?

One of my favorite spots on the lower Lower Provo is right after the first little day use campground after the Olmstead Diversion. (I forget its name) Lots of good holes. Like you said, there are plenty of holes to be found. Be quiet, quiet, quiet!!

Senkonate
[signature]
I used to fish the Provo quite a bit before I started getting obsessed with Utah Lake. I would fish a section from Deseret Industries up to Movies 8. There are some fish with size, but most are in the 8-14" range. I used flies and would do really well. Just find a nice hole and work it over good, or hit the banks and pockets in the quicker sections and move quicker until you find fish. Dragging a double rig close to the bottom was by far the most effective. There are times during summer evenings when the fish would readily hit a Caddis or Adams.

I have a couple of favorite spots, but one I would be happy to share with anyone is where University Parkway crosses the river. The trusses that hold up the freeway also hold several fish! Not alot in the way of scenery, but also not alot in the way of people. Below is a list of flies I would get to fish that town section (p.s., these flies are almost all I use on any section of the Provo. The key is a "dead drift" presentation and small patterns):

Pheasant Tail/Bead-Head Pheasant Tail: Sizes 16-22

Scuds/sow bugs (grey, green, pink): sizes 14-18 (grey was by far the best)

Hare's Ear/Bead-Head Hare's Ear (grey, green): sizes 16-22 (grey seems to be the best again)

Black Midge Nymph: size 18-22

Standard dries: Elk Hair Caddis and Adams sizes: 14-18

Good luck!!!

EmuScud
[signature]
Thanks for the great info EmuScud. I can't wait to give the Provo a try. I think I'll try a little later in the spring. Have you ever tried spinners?
[signature]
Great report EmuScud, welcome aboard, we look forward to hearing more from you. We like to hear the word obsession next to a given body of water, Have you been having good luck at Utah lake?
[signature]
Last part of march and into april is killer time to go . Blue wing olives and midges hatches galore . Fish big wets in the early morning , nymphs till about noon . Drys and emergers till about 4 pm and switch to big wets for some sweet action till dark . I use to carry 3 rods with me when I fished it in spring . tight lines
[signature]
Jigs , spinners , and rapalas work great the same time . Rainy days can be great . Just lots of people on the river that time of year . Sometimes I perfer to fish spinning when there are lots of fly fishers out . Black jigs are great .
[signature]
Thanks for the nice tips HA69. I look forward to trying out the provo. When I go I'll take the digicam, and post a few pics if I catch any hogs[Smile] Once again thanks.
[signature]
Thekillerbee,

I haven't used spinners on the Provo, so I'm afraid I can't be of much help. Those were my "snooty" days when all I used was fly equipment. Catching cats at Utah Lake last summer with popcorn shrimp and spinning outfits cured me of my snooty ways!

[size 1]plecopterahopper,[/size]

I have had the most luck at Lindon BH with white and chartruese jigs, tipped with a piece of wax-worm. I've landed a couple of walleye (11-12") there too. I've only been out to Lincoln beach once and got skunked. If you ever see some crazy guy with spinning and fly outfits on the water, its a good chance its me. Unfortunatly/fortunatly I'm expecting my first son this week (#3 overall) so my fishing time will be much less than usuall. Catch a few for me!!!

EmuScud
[signature]
Just a bit of advice. Since the provo receives so much pressure the fish even though they are wild have habits a bit like hatchery fish. They are very specific. One thing that is a problem is if you say you can see 20 fish in a hole, well that means they can see you to and will usually turn right off unless you have exactly what they want. Try to not be visible including color patterns when your fishing. I see all too often people fishing a river with a white t shirt or a rain coat that is hunter orange or popular canary yellow. Fish are not color blind so........ dress accordingly.

hope this helps
[signature]
Congrats on the addition to your family, we are expecting our third in may only we are supposed to have our first girl. Tell you what, I will catch some for you if you catch some for me in May[cool]. Let us know when the youngest future BFT member arrives.
[signature]
[Image: LOOM5874CustomImage0249179.jpg]

This is one of my provo boxes . It is thin out . I usually have alot more in there . I thought I would just scan a fly box and see what it would look like . My streamer boxes are also packed full and I have lost one of my "Berry" boxes . Everything in it was green . I think it had 200 to 300 flies in it . Not sure when i lost it . I guess I will just have to get tying again .
[signature]