Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lahontan Cutthroat
I just read on the Idaho stocking website that the Lahontan Cutthroat is stocked in a lake nearby which I intend to fish. I'm not familiar with this species, but after reading about it, it appears that they withstand greater temperature ranges. That is probably why they are stocked in the lake here in Nampa, ID. I'm just curious if anybody else is familiar with this species and whether I should expect them to grow into nice fish rapidly (i.e. think there are some lunkers in the lake?), whether they are good to fish for, etc.

They used to stock little kokanee in Ririe reservoir, for example, and I would rather catch nothing than to hook those little guys. They were small and extremely fragile. I assume the cutts are a little hardier, but know nothing about them.
[signature]
the cutts will be far more hearty than the kokes. the cutts will grow, depending on the forage in the lake. if there are some small baitfish, like chubs, shiners, suckers, or even game species fry in the lake then the cutts will grow all the faster/larger. what other species are in the lake for those cutts to eat?
[signature]
There are bluegill, sculpin, channel cat, crappie, sm bass and lm bass, so with the latter, the cutts may be food themselves [Tongue]. Thanks for the info and insight.
[signature]
well, you got me curious. from what i can find, that strain of cuts is the largest of all strains. i imagine they can hold there own in that lake! id go give it a try just to find out. i would recommend using rapalas, or other baitfish imitator lures. try to match the colors and size of a crappie, or bluegill.

[url "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lahontan_cutthroat_trout"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lahontan_cutthroat_trout[/url]

from what im reading on various websites, they sound just like any other cutthroat out there... only with a much larger potential. sounds like flies will work well for them in the mornings and evenings. i imagine a nice dark wooly bugger would be great. all the websites ive looked at have called the fish a "threatened species." id check with your states game and fish before going out.

good luck! and thanks for posting up. im glad i got to learn a bit about a pretty cool fish. (makes me wonder why we dont have them here!)
[signature]
[black][size 3]They are a native of Nevada. And they are a beautiful fish. They don't fight as hard as some of the other fish you stated that are in that lake, but they will be well worth it when you see them. Hopefully they won't be all silver and the color washed out as does happen when they are in lakes sometimes. I only know them from streams but have heard that they loose their color in some still waters.[/size][/black]
[signature]
If I can hook one, I'll let you know how they look [img]../../images/gforum/cool.gif[/img]
[signature]
I'll definitely check the regs. I'll likely use some of the lures I used on the southfork and willow creek for cutts--but this time I made them [cool]
Dark-bodied spinners with sling spinner blades, and I'll likely toss a spoon or two. Unfortunately, the first weekend I have off and it appears the weather will be icing up the edge of the lake, so I will probably have to wait until it warms up a bit [Sad]

(sorry for the double post--I tried to edit out the shorter one, but couldn't delete it)
[signature]
yeah, that dang cold weather can really ruin plans! id be curious to see a pic of your homemade lures... that is, unless they are "top secret"! i love using spinners on lakes, but when it comes to streams i stick with flies.
[signature]
Naw, nothing at all top secret about my lures. I'll snap a few shots and pm them, unless you have an email listed. Nothing to hooray about--think I made TubeDude cry in fear when I showed him [Tongue]

Well, too big to upload here, so here's the link:

http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b327/m...CF1602.jpg
[signature]
those look pretty good to me! i especially like the ones with the minnows on them. i bet those would kill on strawberry, here in utah. i'll have to visit the lure making board and try to develop some more skills!
[signature]
[black][size 3]Way nice looking spinners ! Looks like those will catch fish. Thanx for share them.[/size][/black]
[signature]
Thx for saying so, but I'm kind of disappointed in them. I have some ring eye hooks on the way, as well as some plastics, so I can tie up some flies to go behind the spinners, and can rig some with simple plastics [cool]

The important thing is, I have not had to have any of my colleagues remove a treble hook from anywhere on my body since I started making lures [Tongue]
[signature]
[center][cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]I have heard of this species of trout but have never seen one. Here are a few of it's cousins.[/size][/green][/font][/center] [center][/center] [center]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=20879;][/center]
[signature]