Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newton
I drove by newton on saturday and the ice looked good on the lower end by the dam. Anybody fished it lately?
[signature]
Lots of open water today 2/27 I wouldn't try it til ice off.
[signature]
[#ff0000]I've never done any good until ice off AND THEN warmer temps. If you've got some secrets, please share! [/#ff0000]
[signature]
Newton's not too tough most of the time. Winter is the toughest time; my guess is that oxygen is limited. My last time out on the ice I saw fish on the finder but few were interested enough to bite. You just have to be willing to move around. I usually ice fish near where I fish open water just a little deeper (10-18 ft deep). Any more specific answer I need more specifics in the question.
[signature]
I've tried everything I can think of on Newton in the winter, worms, plastics, spinners, cranks, jigs, bottom, top, and in between and have never even had a bite! No kidding. Same luck early spring until the water warms up that is, and then we have a pretty good time catching a little bit of everything. I thought we could at least pick up a few trout out of the middle after ice off but could not even talk any of them into giving up. The kids love it in the summer, as there is such a variety, you never know what you are going to pull out next, Crappie, Bass, Trout, Perch, or a three foot cat or tiger musky. Just another wonder; we camp out on the shore and toss out catfish food and tie a bell to the pole and the pole to a tree for some pretty nice catfish. We took some home one August to cook up and they were THE NASTIEST things to assault the human senses. Bitter, stinky, oily, nasty to where even the cat took off running. What are we doing wrong?
[signature]
Newton used to be a lot better fishing then it is now,(just my 2 cents)back in the old days before the tried makeing a trout fishery out of it,the crappie fishing was great and the perch were 12"long.You did have to put up with a bunch of carp but it was all fun.After they poisoned it, they closed it for a couple years,planted trout then when they opened it back up that was some of the best fishing for trout I have ever experinced 4-5# rainbows all day long,but now there all gone.Now you have the chance at a 15-20#cat or a 40"musky and some nice bass,as B.L.M.said before"BIG FISH RULE"M.H.
[signature]