Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'TIS THE SEASON - BE SAFE
[cool][#0000ff]Most seasoned iceaholics are aware that when the first warming trends of February hit it can be the beginning of the end for ice fishing. This is especially true on the lower elevation lakes.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]We have a lot of new ice fishing fans on BFT, so I thought it might be a good idea for the veterans to chime in on some of the things they use to stay safe while continuing to enjoy drillin' and chillin' as long as possible. Here are a couple of things I have to offer.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]When nighttime temps don't drop at least into the teens, and daytime temps get over 40, it is time to start watching your step when you get on the hard deck. Melting snow causes lakes to rise and that can pull the ice away from the shoreline...especially on a steep slope. Time to start carrying a plank to your favorite pond, just in case you need a safe bridge to get across to thick ice.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You also need to be careful when going out on the ice from a shallow sloping part of the lake. There can be several feet of thin or rotten ice. Not only does rising water create open areas but the sun warms the ice and water faster during the day over a dark bottom and thin ice.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]One thing I learned in the past was to try to avoid going out on the exposed north side of a lake. That side faces south and gets direct sunlight on warm days. The reflected heat from the banks increases the melting rate and you may have trouble getting back in even though you get out okay. Instead, look for access spots that are on the south side of the lake, and preferably shaded by hills or trees. These spots stay hard frozen longer, and are less likely to turn soft as quickly.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]Take ice cleats. The snow on top of the ice melts during the day and refreezes during the night. It can be a skating rink out there until the daytime temps start the melting process again.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]Pay attention to what the ice is doing. Noisy ice is safe ice...usually. But, when the ice is getting rotten (from warming), and it gets windy, there can be some shifting that might cause large areas of ice to break free.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]Stay off "spring" ice that is less than 5"-6" thick. The ice turns spongy and rotten even at those thicknesses. I have watched anglers walking across such stuff and you can actually see waves and ripples moving ahead of them. Not good. One weak spot and they get a cold bath.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]Treat late ice just like early ice. Be sure you have a PFD, some rope and ice picks around your neck. [/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]Anybody else have some good advice...for both newbies and for pros who might be forgetful?[/#0000ff]
[signature]
That is really helpful info, TubeDude! Thanks!
[signature]
Some good advice has already been given. Most everyones primary concern is falling through the ice. This should be the first concern.

However, not enough attention (IMO) is give to slipping and falling on the ice. I have fallen a few times hard, flat on my back. Fortunately, I was ok. But, it could have been a lot worse. With little snow, melting ice, very easy to fall.
[signature]
Great advice Pat. My little brother-in-law went to East Canyon last weekend with some Boy Scouts, and a total of 4 of them broke completely through the ice and into the water. Not sure exactly where they were walking, or who was there "guide". Also, I can't imagine these kids weighing more than 110 lbs. Luckily everyone made it out okay, but the kids were real shaken up and ended up heading for home without doing any fishing at all.

So be careful out there for sure...
[signature]
Tube Dude, how do you think the ice at the Berry is holding up? Daytime temps are in the 40's and nighttime in the low 20's or teens. Last I heard there were about 18 in. up there and I'm planning on heading out there this Sunday. Should I leave the snowmobile at home???

Thanks!
[signature]
As TubeDude said the lower elevation lakes is what you have to worry about (Deer Creek,Rockport, Echo) the Berry will be safe for awhile still!
[signature]
I would add watch out for the holes from the day before. With warm nights they don't always freeze or freeze solid enough to hold your weight. Dropping a boot into one can ruin your day and leg pretty fast.
[signature]
Lower Elevation is Utah Lake, Willard Bay and Holmes Creek, along with all of the lakes and ponds on the lower elv of the Wasatch Range. (Elv. 4200' yo 4400') Rockport, Deer Creek and Echo will be ok this week. A plank may be needed for all but Strawberry, Currant Creek and Other high Elev lakes.
[signature]
So close to spring....I can hear the walleye calling....what was that oh! There's a smallie knocking at the door[Wink]
[signature]
[reply]
So close to spring....I can hear the walleye calling....what was that oh! There's a smallie knocking at the door[Wink] [/reply]

that sound you hear was me i just farted, and the knocking at the door is bearclaw putting a hot bag on your door stop
[signature]
Ice newbies listen to TubeDude and some of the other long time ice guys. No fish is worth going through the ice for, and rotten ice can be very tough to get back onto.
[signature]
Another thing I want to caution newbies and oldies about is vegetation. Often the ice wets back from trees, reeds and other vegetstion quickly and causes rotten ice. Watch your step.
[signature]
We should all have at least 50' of good rope in our sleds. Just in case. I have 100'. If we all have a rope and any one one of us goes thru, we all can help.
As of this week the PFD goes back in the sled too. It's just one of those square throw cushins, but it could save a life.

Planks are a funny thing. I have access to scrap pieces of lumber because of my work. Over the past 5 years or so I have brought at least 30 planks to the ice, used them to get on the ice, had others use them to get on the ice, and then have some stupid take the plank before I get off the ice. Am I supposed to drag my plank around all day?
I doubt any one on this board would do that, but it chaps me off.
[signature]