Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Urethane vs. Vinyl?
OK, I was all set to go with an ODC 420, but I got a lead on a Fat Cat (yellow) for around $200. The price difference between the two is not all that important. Obviously saving a few bucks ($25-$50) is a good thing, and would essentially pay for my fins!

The ONLY reason that I would consider spending the extra money would be to upgrade to the urethane air cell. However, I really don’t know the benefits of the two materials. What are the benefits of urethane vs. vinyl? Which is more durable? Puncture resistant? Longer life?Thanks again!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]My personal advice is to jump on the Fat Cat deal. It is just a better all around craft, especially for the few extra bucks involved. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Most seasoned tubers come to recognize and appreciate the difference in the urethane vs vinyl. Vinyl is a less expensive air chamber, used to keep costs down and to provide affordable floating for tubers who are not going to be using their craft very much, over a long period of time. Vinyl does degrade more, over time, with heavy use and exposure to sun, water and abuse. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Urethane air chambers generally have slightly thicker walls and are "harder". In other words, they are a bit more resistant to casual pokes from fish spines or stickers on parking lots or lakeshore banks. They are not impervious to getting holes, just a little more resistant. Vinyl is soft and sharp points find easier access.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The PVC bottom on the Fat Cat is probably about the best "undercoating" in the industry. It is tough enough to withstand the occasional dragging over rough surfaces or bouncing off underwater hazards while launching or beaching.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If I were faced with the same decision, I would definitely go for the mellow yellow.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Like TD said the Fat cat is superior to the ODC. I would take the deal, and I have an ODC.

IMHO this is the higherarchy of the V tubes

Fishcat4
ODC420
FatCat
Super Fat cat
and probably the H3 with its highest weight rating.

Majja
[signature]
[black][size 3]One other thing which is a big deal here, is Urethane is LESS effected by Altitude and weather change.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]You will find that on a warm summer day, you launch into COLD water, the air in the chambers will compress and it is much more noticable in Vinyl. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]We head to the Uinta's (1,000 ft) and the tubes will inflate, so you want to start by deflating the tubes before you head up the mountains.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Also with Urethane, you can fill them a little more with out fear of them busting a seam. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]With our Urethane (which is all our boats except the Echos which are Purma bladders) we pump them till you can bounce a quarter off of them. And they don't compress noticably in cold water[/size][/black].
[signature]
I think that I've been luck with my FC4. I have never had a hole in the bladder but I did finally have the valve seals go out. That was fixable for around 5 bucks at my local plumbing supply store.

I did have to invent the auto pressure compensater though. It cost me a few brain cell and about 600 buck of components. It could never be marketed for the 1000 buck that it is worth but then again, to me, it is worth it's weight in gold since I only inflate once and it holds the tube pressure to within 1/4lb of inflation specs.[cool]
[signature]
Roosterfish,

I own an FC4, an ODC 420, and a Super Fat Cat. The SFC is definitely the best of the batch. That's not to say the others are not good, because they are. I just appreciate the larger overall size of the SFC, the bigger pockets, and the added security of the Urathane bladders. I paid full price for my SFC, $360. (I think the Fat Cat is usually around $300.) Had I been able to get one for $200 I would have snapped it up in a second. Even a yellow one. Nothing wrong with yellow, though I don't think it is not as popular with fishermen.

BTW, I don't pilate all three tubes at the same time. I get the help of my grandsons to do that.

z~
[signature]
Sorry to be such a nuisance. It is funny; I seem to agonize over the purchase of fishing gear. With the same money, or even 10X the money involved, I would never agonize over a non-fishing purchase. I guess that is just another indication that I’m totally addicted to fishing!

My “lead” on the yellow Fat Cat came in at $220 (shipping was not included in my original quote), and my best price on the ODC is right at $150. So, the price is not as close as I had thought. But, my real concern at this point is the warranty. The Fat Cat has a 5-year warranty, and the ODC has a lifetime warranty. Granted, I fully expect that a hook and my stupidity will damage any tube long before there is any type of manufacture defect.

The Fat Cat has a single air cell….right? This is actually a BIG plus for me. It is my understanding that in Ohio, an inflatable craft has to be registered if it has more than one air cell. So, a tube with a single air cell would save me some money ($20), and more importantly it would save me from a HUGE hassle (priceless).

Final question (yea, right!), when deflated how large are these tubes? I need to fit any tube and associated gear that I purchase into an “old school” external frame backpack. This is an absolute deal breaker. The packed dimensions of the ODC seem doable at 22x19x12. Is the Fat Cat similar? I usually fish from a kayak. Twice a year, I take a fishing trip to an area that has hundreds of old strip pits filled with MONSTER bass. It is extremely rough terrain, and it is impossible to get a kayak to some of the ponds. Of course, the ponds that are more difficult to access have the better fishing, and that is why I’m looking for a float tube.

Thanks again!
[signature]
[reply]
Final question (yea, right!), when deflated how large are these tubes? I need to fit any tube and associated gear that I purchase into an “old school” external frame backpack. This is an absolute deal breaker. The packed dimensions of the ODC seem doable at 22x19x12. Is the Fat Cat similar? [/reply]

Something to consider...

Both the ODC 420 and the regular Fat Cat have foam insert seats. These foam blocks take up additional space beyond the rolled up bladder(s) and shell. In fact, I have my ODC 420 in a large Outcast boat bag which is the only thing I could find at the time that would accomodate the additional foam blocks. It seems doubtful to me that you'll be able to get either of these tubes into a frame type backpack. The foam blocks are too large, clumsy, and bulky.

Seems to me what you need is either a Super Fat Cat or a Fish Cat 4 Deluxe. Both have inflatable seats that roll up with the rest of the tube. These fit in reasonably small spaces and might fit into your backpack. I know you implied that the SFC is above your price range so scratch that one. You hadn't mentioned the Fish Cat 4 Deluxe in your posts. I've seen them in shops and they're very nice. They are basically a Fish Cat 4 with an inflatable seat. I think they run around $179-189 which is $40-50 more than a plain Fish Cat 4.

Again, if you need to get it into a backpack, don't go with a tube with foam seats.

z~

P.S. You can carry your tube fully inflated with backpack type straps. Outcast sells these and I think they would work with the ODC 420.
[signature]
Would it be impractical to remove the foam seat for better storage while it is being transported?

I would like to avoid getting a tube with an inflatable seat. From what I have read, it is a trouble spot for developing leaks, and the tube flexes inward.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]The foam seats are "removable". But, after what most of us go through to get them properly inserted in the first place, we usually plan to leave them in there for eternity. Tight fit and tough work. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]About the inflatable seats. I am a big guy and put a lot of strain on the inflatable seats in my Super Fat Cat. Still, I would expect better seats and fewer leaks than I have had. I have had to repair at least 20 pinhole leaks at the edges of the seams on the bottom portion of the seat, and several on the backrest. As I write this, my inflatable seat is on my tackle bench, with a new Aquaseal patch drying on a new hole on the back rest. Took my tube out for the first time this year, yesterday, and had to keep returning to shallow water to get out and air up the backrest so I could keep fishing. It went flat about every 30 minutes. Just about ruined my already aching back. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]No more inflated seats for me...at least Outcast seats.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Just a comment. Unless you have to stuff the tube inside the pack, you should have no problem packing your gear into those secret honey holes. You can experiment to get a good secure fold up job, and use nylon rope or bungee cords to hold it in position on the outside of your pack. It will weigh the same regardless of whether it is inside or outside, and unless you are brush-busting through thick cover it should not be a problem.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I think TD has the right idea for carrying the tube. If you must have the backpack bag for other gear (don't forget the pump, fins, etc.), you can wrap the deflated tube around it and use bungees to hold it on. If you don't need the bag, then you can easily bungee it to the backpack frame. Getting one with foam seats to go inside the bag is pretty much a non-starter.

I have the pack straps that Sportsman's Warehouse sells (can't remember the brand) and they work fine on my ODC420.

I bought my tube at JT Buck. Do a web search to find them. At the time they had the best price and free shipping. I did find one other place that was a little cheaper, but the shipping killed the deal.

RD
[signature]
I'd like to second what Zonker advised. I love my Fat Cat with the foam seats but I jumped on a great price for a friends Wood River Glide Rider because of its fold up to fit in a backpack capabilities. Having said that if you are not hauling camping gear and food you can attach backpack straps to the D rings underneath the (Super) Fat Cat and carry it fully inflated on your back. If you pack it carefully and limit your tackle you can use the velcro rod holders to hold a couple of rods, carry a small soft cooler over your shoulder and be well equipped for a days fishing.

P.S. You might want to leave the anchor behind in favour of a fishfinder and aN S.L.A. battery.
[signature]
Guys,

I can blow up my Fat Cat 66 by mouth can you do this on the Fish Cats and modern (Super) Fat Cats. How about ODC? Joni could you inflate the H3 by mouth if you had to.
[signature]
[size 1]"I can blow up my Fat Cat 66 by mouth can you do this on the Fish Cats and modern (Super) Fat Cats."[/size]
[size 1][/size]
[size 1][/size]
[size 1]I found out by Sad experience on a trip (I forgot the pump, doh!) that you can indeed blow up a modern Fat Cat by mouth. Not as tiring as I thought, but it was time consuming. [/size]
[signature]
[black][size 3]It has the Halkey Valve, but I guess if you opened them up to get it started, I think it could be done. But then my next purchase will be the K-PUMP. Pricy, but I think well worth it[Wink][/size][/black]
[signature]
The FC is a big tube. The packed size of the FC as it comes from the factory is 17x14x20. The rigid foam seats account for about 1/2 that. (BTW, teh seat/backrest are going to be hard to get into a backpack but could be bungied to the frame. You could go with the inflatable seat Fish Cat 4 delux or super FC to reduce packed volume & shape but your back to multiple bladders.
Don't wait too long. I bought my Mustard FC at that price in the fall when there were 2-3 sellers on the net who had them for that price. The deals seem to be drying up as inventory drops.
[signature]