Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
minnows
I am looking to buy some minnows for bait. I have bought them at Sportsman's and Angler's Inn, in the past. Everyone seems to be out right now.

any suggestions?
[signature]
yeah try this.. buy a minnow trap at one of the sportgood stores.. get a burger or hotdog bun roll it into as tight of a ball as you can and put it in the trap.. go to you local stream and put it in over night and see what you get.. i have a stream here not to fare from my house the i can catch 24 to 40 minnows a night that way.. hope thet helps

from the fuzzyfisher-------------------- fish on dudes
[signature]
For some reason over the last two years the frozen shiner minnows seem to be impossible to find during the winter, and I have really had good luck with them ice fishing in the past. The best thing I can suggest is to stock your freezer with a few packages of them in the summertime.
[signature]
hey if you all can't get any i can get them for you.. i dont know if i need a special license to sale them or not.. but i can get them.. like i say about 20 to 40 a day with one trap..
[signature]
PM me or shoot me an e-mail, i am definitely interested in purchasing some minnows

what kind,,,,size?
[signature]
I would love to have some. They work great on cutthroats.
[signature]
Do you catch minnows in the winter? because i have set my trap a few times about 24 hours each time and cought nothing.
[signature]
i do not know? i went down and set the trap this morning i will go and check it later and see if i got any thing.. i had alot of shiners in the freezer but have used most of them this year allredy.. so we shall see if they can be caught this time of the year or not.. from the fuzzyfisher---------------fish on dudes
[signature]
Hey Guys, you might want to try Walmart or Kmart. They should have thems in 2 diffreant sizes.
[signature]
have you checked your local smiths or any grocer. they uiusually have them there. if not when strawberry thaws id be more than glad to get you some.
[signature]
The ones at WalMart and KMart are the "pickled" packaged ones, and I have never had any luck with them. Also, they tend to fall apart when you try to put them on a hook. The ones sportsman's carries are caught fresh and frozen. They are the red shiners.

Also, are these the same fish that are swimming all around the docks at strawberry? Just want to make sure that I'm trying to catch them that I'm not catching any young trout or anything.

Do you know what the laws are regarding catching them there, killing them, then using them to fish there the same day? Is there any law regarding that?

Thanks
[signature]
[cool]You can catch minnows this time of year, if you find where they are. Look for small ponds and creeks not overly populated with predator species. Lots of farm ponds around the central part of the state (SanPete) that are full of chubs. Used to be areas with lots of chubs and sucker minnows along the Sevier, below Yuba too.

I haven't checked for a few years, but the Strawberry, below Starvation used to be full of chubs too. I would stop there with a small hook and piece of worm or doughball and fill a cooler full of hefty chubs. Small to medium sized ones would be fished whole. Larger ones got filleted or chunked. A small piece of chub meat on a "bait bug" gets a lot of votes from hungry fishies. Whole big chubs have taken some hefty cats from Utah Lake and Willard. Cutler and the Bear River too.

You won't find concentrations of minnows whereever there are lots of bass, walleyes or other minnow-eating predators. Browns are also efficient at keeping stream populations of minnows down. Lots of browns usually mean few minnows.

It is legal and popular to harvest the minnows around the docks at the Berry. Kill them and cast them fresh for best results. However, you can freeze them for later use too...but the fresher the better.

Another good source of minnows for the freezer are baby carp. Usually June is a good month to walk the banks of the lower Provo, looking for big schools of baby carp...a month or so after the spawn. Use dip nets or cast nets to gather as many as you can. Freeze them in small plastic bags,with a bit of water, removing all the air to minimize freezer damage. Thaw them in the refrigerator for a day or two before you go fishing. Thawed baby carp in the fall will slay the monsters of Utah Lake during the fall feeding binge.

I have never done well with the bottled minnows. Probably because self respecting fish don't like the liquids used to preserve them. But, I have used freeze dried minnows. You can buy packages of them and store them at room temperature. Simply follow the directions on the package to rehydrate them before a trip. I also like to dose them up with some salt and some shad oil, for extra flavoring. They are much tougher, but more effective than bottled. A lot of midwestern ice fishermen fish with freeze dried minnows all winter and do very well with them for perch and walleye.

Hope this helps.
[signature]
sorry guy's but the traps came up with out any minnows !![Sad] i was geting all that i wanted 2 months ago now i dont even see any down there.. i dont know where they could have gone but i dont see them now.. i will try some of the farm ponds around and see if i can come up with some chub.. from the fuzzyfisher -------------fish on dudes
[signature]