Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wolves
[url "http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17500060/?GT1=9221"]http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17500060/?GT1=9221[/url]

What do you guys think? Gonna put in for a tag?
[signature]
Kill 'em all is what I say!
[signature]
[Wink] Amen brother. The only good wolf is a dead wolf!!!
[signature]
Let's get a bft wolfathon going. Heaviest wolf killed gets to shoot a bull elk in yellowstine.[sly]
[signature]
I for one (the only one apparently) think wolves have a right to exist in their native areas with reasonable management objectives. Obviously they won't do well running around in the foothills of the Wasatch Front, but why not the Uintas wilderness area, bookcliffs, aquarius plateau and other large tracts of wildlands?
[signature]
The way I see it, times have changed. No longer can the elk and deer freely graze in the valleys. Their winter ranges are dissappearing quite rapidly. This has put a tremendous stress on the animals, and adding another efficient predator to the mix just makes the problem all that much worse. Yes they did roam here freely at one time, but that time has passed, and because of our unquenchable quest for land and development, they no longer have a place here. In my opinion they should never be purposefully introduced into our state. Yes you can claim that the Uintahs and Book Cliffs are wilderness, but it has already been shown that these animals will trek a very long way to find food. There have been 2 confirmed wolves caught in Utah already, and I'm sure there are many more here, as I highly doubt that the only 2 wolves that made it here happend to be stupid enough to be caught in a trap. Those places would be OK for a small number if you could absolutely guarantee they would never leave that designated wilderness area, but that won't happen. The only way I would be agreeble to thier intro here would be to plant a very small population of sterile animals.

End rant.
[signature]
we hunted a wolf infested area for elk with a bow last year, it was horrible. the elk were all packed into a herd of about 300, when they usually are in a bunch of small rutting herds. it was an extreme pack in hunt, after a week back there we had not even gotten close to an elk, due to 600 eyes and ears on high alert looking for a wolf to break into thier herd. it was absolutely a bust, never again will i put that much effort, time and money into a wolf impacted area- and my suggestion to anyone else is to avoid these areas at all costs. we never saw a wolf, and they were there- bigtime, so as far as hunting them, i think it would be like chasing ghosts. my vote is to delist them and let the ranchers have thier way with them- even though that will probably never happen.
[signature]
I think the bee summed it up pretty good!
[signature]
[url "http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v489/Sitkaspruce/?action=view"]http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v489/Sitkaspruce/?action=view[/url]?t=WolvesMovie.flv
Enjoy
Sitka SOME STUFF FOR YA.
[url "http://www.montana.edu/wwwbi/staff/creel/science%202007.pdf"]http://www.montana.edu/wwwbi/staff/creel/science%202007.pdf[/url]
[url "http://www.steensmountain.net/wolfattack.doc"]http://www.steensmountain.net/wolfattack.doc[/url] AND THERE IS A TON MOORE OF THIS STUFF ON MONSTER MULEYS.COM
[signature]
A couple of wolves have been caught here in the last couple of years. One was in northern boxelder county, another in Morgan, and one more up on the sourdough property close to Causey. It wont be long until we start getting frequent sightings. We have enough problems with lions up here in Northern Utah, the last thing we need are wolves. If I spot one, it's going down.
[signature]
I hear that alot, but when you get hit with the penalties of poaching a federally protected animal you will be singing a different toon.
[signature]
By no means am I a tree hugger but it is exactly this attitude that gives hunters a bad name. I am supprised that so many members of this board have such a narrow minded view on this subject. For us to think that wolves no longer have a place in this world just because we would like our elk hunt to be better is just a little arrogant on our part.
If they are causing problems for ranchers then by all means thin them out a little but let's be reasonable about it shall we.[Smile]
[signature]
attitude, narrow minded, arogant and unreasonable- wow... all i was saying (and everyone has a right to an opinion) is that i'll never put any more money or time into wyo or id wolf areas, there is better hunts out there- and i'm just letting everyone know so they don't make the same mistake i did. i don't think the "open minded?" wolf enthusiasts have even heard a word the ranchers, guides and hunters have been saying since the reintroduction. this subject just reminds me of talking about religion!!
[signature]
According to the state and feds, they do not exist in Utah, so if you shot one, it couldn't be a wolf, so you can't be ticketed for shooting an animal that technically does not exist in Utah.
[signature]
My apologies if I seemed to lump you into a group where you don't belong and thanks for the advice.
I agree with you completely that the wolf enthusiasts probably never listen to a word the ranchers have to say. However, the "kill 'em all" attitude doesn't work either as that is the reason they were on the endangered list in the first place.
[signature]
That is some fool proof logic right there. So if a condor, spotted owl, or grizzly wandered into Utah it is open season on them as well?

What if a panda or spider monkey escaped from Hogle Zoo? Would you put a round in them too? I hear them spider monkeys can be pretty vicious and detrimental to the local sweet corn crop.

You have to be able to identify your target before you shoot. If it is not an animal you can legally take, than you can not shoot it.

Keep your dogs leashed around this guy.
[signature]
Personally I have no conscience, so I wouldn't have a problem putting a round in any of the critters you mention.

Wolves are useless vermin that do not belong here any more. They are not endangered species, just federally proctected. You can hunt them (legally) in Canada. You can bet the Canadian F&W laughed all the way to the bank when the US bought those mangy critters from them. Our forefathers killed them all off for a good reason, let's not undo what they did because we are glassy eyed treehuggers. Mother nature is no friggin' treehugger, just ask a wolly mammoth! Oh wait, they all died off on thier own. How 'bout a saber tooth tiger??? None of them left either. Perhaps a dinosaur? Sorry, just some bones and turds left over from them.
[signature]
THINK ABOUT THIS. SOONER OR LATER SOME ONE WILL BE ATTACKED. THEN WHAT? IF YOU READ SOME OF THE THREDS AND POSTS ON MM YOU WILL SEE HOW THEY KILL AND OR DONT KILL. JUST FEED ON LIVING DEER ELK AND MOOSE. NOT KILLING THEM JUST FEEDING OFF THEM LEAVING THE PREY ALIVE FOR ANOTHER DAY. THAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN TO A PERSON SOONER OR LATER. HOW WILL IT BE ADDRESSED? IF ITS SOMEONE FROM YOUR CIRCLE THAT DIES HOW WILL YOU FEAL ABOUT BEING ON THEIR DEFFENCE? WILL YOU TAKE YOUR ACCOUNTABILLITY? OR WHAT? IHILE IN THE WILD. NO QUESTIONS. NOT FOR MY OWN SELFISH DESIRES BUT TO INSURE ATTACTS OF CHILDREN WHO DIDNT GET TO CHOOSE.
[signature]
Well, Seems like we have found a topic that gets a few folks blood pressure up. I know that this is a topic that we all will have strong feelings on. I know I do and I have made them known in a post already as have others. I also see that some of you want to see the wolves come back and have a place here with everything else.

I respect everyone's opinions on this matter. Your entitled to it know matter what it is. Lets just make sure we keep this post going in the right direction and not personally target anyone individual. We can all agree to disagree here.

RILEYFISH
[signature]
I guess my last word on this matter is that they are coming and none of your out-dated thoughts on the matter will stop that. Your arguments and mentality is one of the issues that put hunters at odds with non-hunters and it will do no good for the sport in the long run.

Crossineyes-- you like to point out how savage wolves are when they kill, but are they any less savage than many hunters when they take the field? Killing isn't pretty work. The wolves do it to survive and we do it for sport. Why is it okay for us to kill for sport but horrific for a wolf to kill for sustenance?
[signature]