Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bass Fishing
[center][font "Tahoma"][black][size 3]What is the best lure to use when the ice just melts for bass?[raplreiw] [/size][/black][/font][/center]
As with most things there is nothing magic that works everywhere for that circumstance.

But you can improve your chances by considering the following:

When the ice is melting the water temp is still about 30-45 degrees. Fish are generally not yet fully active if active at all. A Bass in cold water is only going to bite something that it consideres to be "worth the effort"

Generaly Speaking a larger lure that you can work slowly in deeper areas is more likly to produce some results. Slow presentation and knowing where to throw the lure is a good method for cold water bassin. I would also consider a strong scent. Being as the bass are not moving all over the place your gonna need something to attract them if possible and sice you need very slow presentation a vibration / rattle lure is harder to use to full effect.

I like to use live minnows under these circumstances personally.

If you gotta use a lure I would say try working a plastic crawfish/worm on the bottom very slowly. And go a size bigger then normal, and use a strong scent.
[signature]
Anything slowly presented will be the best bet. The bass are still a little lethargic after Ice Off occurs.

I prefer plastics myself. You can fly line them out and give them a slight twitch every 20 seconds or so.[cool]
[signature]
Beavers or yum crawdads are my go to bait, first thing in the spring. Heavy on the Megastrike. I'll work a jerkbait like a rapala REAL SLOW with pauses.
[signature]
i'd say try working a 4" tube really really slow!
[signature]
Last spring I had great success with a jig n pig fished on the bottom. You have to move it really slow. I was fishing in a very wooded bay. The water I think was about 45 degrees.
[signature]
if it is leagle to target Bass in your area after ice off, (not leagle in michigan)

try a slow presentation, slow shad or rapala, lazy ikes silver in color, light weight cruly tail soft plastics.

Live minows work under a bobber, Yellow poppers on top of the water in cannals,

note that in just a few days after ice off, bass will be returning to the lakes and going below the thermalcline to get away from the cold runoffs of the spring melt.
[signature]