Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Red color
If red is invisable to fish, like cajun red line is suppose to be invisable to fish, then why do they say use lures and hooks with red on them to imitate bleeding?
[signature]
I love this question, LOL

My friend, the answer is quite simple, you are smarter than the average angler. Most people don't put any thought into this. The "red" line manufactureres came up with the claim that the "red" color is the first to fade out at depths. What you are left with is a line that looks grey. Take a pictire of a stop sign with a black and white camera and you will see what your line looks like in the water.

Bleeding bait hooks are supposed to look like "a bleeding bait" at the surface or just a few feet down you can still see red. This may have some validity but most people who try them say they see no difference in the amount of strikes.

Your question shows your wisdom, glad to see not every angler takes the bait.
[signature]
Capt Joe is right on. The "red line" thing is a bunch of bull. But, even though most fish can't actually see color, there are a few fish that can.

Marlin International concluded in thier research that both Tuna and Blue Marlin have the required color receptors in thier retina to actually see and determin color, not just shades.

It's always been a contravercial subject, fish seeing color that is. But it doesn't really mater. If you can see the line, the fish can see the line. It's really that simple. It doesn't matter if it shows up red or grey, the thing is, it shows up. If you truely want your line to be nearly invisible in the water, you need to tie on a fluorocarbon leader. What makes it so clear in the water? It refracts light at almost the exact rate water does. So is passes through it instead of creating a distortion.

In dramatically deep water, say 80' or more, there's hardly any light down there anyhow. You could use hot pink and neon yellow line and it really wouldn't matter for most species. It's in the shallower water columns where light is prominent and visibility is good that a more stealth rig is necessary.

Also, you might have gotten a better line of reply if you had posted this question on either the saltwater or freshwater boards! Maybe theangler will move it up there for you so we can get a few more opinions. Thanks for your post! [cool]
[signature]
Welcome to Bigfishtackle
I moved this to the correct board for you

as for your question, I dont beleive that it is so much as being invisible to them, I have found fish attracted to reds and oranges and yellows and greens.. the list goes on,

they dont see colors the same way we see them, they see them in shades of reflective flashes.

I have been told that highly visible line scairs the fish.. I have found that to be a false statement. how ever I have found that the weight or gage of the line can cause less agressive fish to mouth and release your bait or lure...
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][cool]Advertising hype! Everybody has to have a better mouse trap. Speaking about lines scaring fish then it would stand to reason that one would never catch fish when fishing from an anchored boat. I have heard that fish are smart, can smell everything, can see around corners LOL you name it. So why would they ever hit a spinner lure, a spoon, rubber or plastic worms, flies, etc, etc? Could it be the predator nature of fish to attack anything that could possibly be food? With all these new inventions flooding the market, are we catching more fish than the generations that preceded us? Just though that I would interject my 3 cents. [inflation][Wink][/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
That's true dryrod. We aren't catching anymore fish than back in the day, infact, we're catching alot less.

For one, there's alot less fish out there. Fish populations are way down in alot of species. Two, I think the fish are more challenging to catch. It's kinda like a blue tick hound. The best hunting dogs i've ever seen weren't taught a damn thing; it's in thier genes. I think over the years the fish's senses have adapted to our fishing tactics; kinda like poping out of the egg knowing that if there's a line attached, it's bad for business. The fish are evolving with the change in times, hints the reason we catch less fish even though our equipment has advanced.

But what do you think guys and gals, are the fish getting smarter, or are we getting dumber? How about it Ted? [Tongue]
[signature]
the well fished areas are getting smarter but the more desolated and isolated areas are still stupid and fall for anything mabye a research could be done on this raise a group of bass in one lake (small lake) and fish it often, then the other lake same amount of bass same size lake same veg and everything....just less fished if fished at all. then try both techniques same set up same persn and see what lake gets more bite's/ landings
[signature]
i dont know ive used the red cajun two seasons now and not much luck. my buddies can fish right next to me and limit out using the same bait same depth same everything maybe just lucky i guess. not sure.
[signature]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]It is more of a matter of knowing the depth that the fish are holding. That is if the particular area in conducive for holding fish. When I was into spin fishing I liked to use a Carolina rig and set my tippet so that it would hold at about 18" from the bottom.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]