Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roller vs. Bunk Trailer
I am looking at getting a new boat and am wondering what kind of trailer to get with it. I have a friend who swears by bunk trailers because he can do everything himself, but I heard roller trailers are considered an "upgrade". I often fish by myself so I need to be able to trailer the boat alone easily.

So what are your experiences and opinions on roller vs. bunk trailers? I would like all opinions please.

TIA
TerryS
[signature]
A little big of rustolium goes a long way

what your friend is doing, and you should ask him,

I beleive he is power loading, illegal in many states and distructive in all states that do not have loading docks spicificly designed for power loading.

you can get a roller trailer with side cradles as an option. With this you can do every thing with out power loading. the side cradles can have rollers or be carpeted or covered with pvc that will allow you to guide the boat up on the rollers with out having to wory about missing rollers and protecting the side of your boat.

if the old trailer is in good shape you may want to just take it in with the boat on it and have the cradles added on...

Power loading washes out the fill below the concrete of the ramp, eventualy the ramp will colaps in to a hole, and there is a 99% chance it will happen while some one is loading or unloading a boat.
[signature]
as to bunk or rollers, I suggest you concider the weight of your craft.

any ideas?
[signature]
I've had both and roller wins hands down. I don't have to worry how deep the trailor is, much easier with one person to load. I'd never go back to a bunk. Just don't untie the boat before you put it in the water.[Sad] I learned the hard way once.
[signature]
rollers are much easier,for 1 person to load/unload
[signature]
I personally have an old style bunk trailer, but I upgraded it by welding another set of bunks in the front. It slides in just as smooth as a hotdog in a bun. [cool]

Personally, I like a "float on" trailer. Roller trailers are high speed. But I would stay away from a bunk trailer unless you've got a pontoon boat.
[signature]