Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
boat help
I have a 1978 mercury 90hp. It cranks up PERFECT, but after I run it 20 or 30 min and shut it off to fish 15 min or so it wont restart?? When I try to restart it, the starter runs fine, but there is no sound of combustion. After 45min or so of rest It will crank and the samething happens all over.

I tried all the obvious stuff, pumping the ball, choke, high speed idle, new fuel line and ball. I even unhooked the fuel line and drained the fuel from the motor. Then rehook it up and started fresh. no help
[signature]
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]I have the same problem with my mower. Although I would rather have your problem which would mean that I am on the water having fun instead of on the grass working.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
We do have a couple of boat experts here on the forum. I will transfer this post over there. They are on top of their stuff.[cool]
[signature]
welcome jim.

i have a few questions,
does this happen only when you shut it off,or does the motor die on its own?
when you crank it over is the motor accually turning over,or is the starter just spinning?

from your description it sounds like the starter isnt engaging
[signature]
I shut it off. The starter is turning fine. When you try to crank it it turns ove good, but it seems as though its not getting gas
[signature]
i wouldnt think fuel,since this only happens while hot,it is difficult to vapor lock because you have more than one carberator,when was the last time you changed spark plug?if its been a while i would start there
[signature]
Tomc took the words right out of my mouth. I'd change the spark plugs first. And if you put platinums in it, that could be your problem. Put a regular old Champion Marine Plug in, it'll run better I promise.

Also, how old is the fuel? 2 stroke right? How rich did you mix the fuel? Did you use the correct kind of oil? Alot of the older motors call for a richer gas/oil mixture. Don't pay that no attention. That was back then, and this is now. Oil back then was of alot cheaper quality. Any 2 stroke outboard, new and old, runs great on 50:1 mix with the newer, high quality 2 stroke oils. [cool]
[signature]
watter in the gas has a way of doing this,

you can get watter in the gas with new gas, actulay part of your gas is water. you may want to use some dry gas or some fuel stableizer...

here is what I think is happening, while you are running your gas tank is on angle that the water is on the oposite side of the fuel line. when you stop the water slushes back twoards your line so you end up with a bit of water in the line and is fowling out your plugs.

after you have set still for some time the water that was sucked up in to the carb will have drained or disipated.

beleive this or not, this is happening in my truck right now, once in a while I get a gas/ethenol mix that starts to seperate, so I make sure I use dry gas every time I fill up. it is making a world of differance...
[signature]