Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good Buy on FC4 at BassPro
[cool][#0000ff]Doing the new shopping guide for tubes and pontubes. In checking on BassPro I saw that Fish Cat 4s are on special for $129. Good price for anybody looking for one.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][url "http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10151&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&partNumber=73157&hvarTarget=search&cmCat=SearchResults"]LINK TO BASSPRO PAGE[/url][/#0000ff]
[signature]
With the H3 quickly becoming the "no brainer" choice for float tubes...I would not be surprised to see more perm. drops in price on some of the old "leaders of the pack".

The fishcat is a good deal at $129 -- that's for sure.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I think I can comfortably continue to recommend the FC4 for entry level craft, especially when someone is on a budget. It has more quality per dollar than almost any other ride. The only negative is that it is not as good for tubers over 200 pounds. That's when the ODC 420 or Fat Cats are better choices.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I plan to add the H3 to my garage within the next week or so, but I don't know if I would suggest it to anyone who is not sure about their commitment to tubing or who has limited funds.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]That's the good thing about having a choice of multiple craft from different manufacturers. It becomes easier...not more difficult...to arrive at a sensible decision. MAYBE.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
What's the H3??? I am curious to see what this thing looks like, can one of you guys post a pic or link to one? I don't know who makes it.

No, I am not looking to buy, the Fat Cat I got last week hasn't even seen water yet, just curious about what the hub-bub is about the H3.
[signature]
Check out Northfork outdoors
[signature]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=24204;]
[url "http://www.northforkoutdoors.com/homepagedirectory.html"][#000000][size 1]NORTH FORK / DAVE SCADDEN PONTUBES[/size][/#000000][/url][size 1] [/size]
[signature]
I'm not going to look at the ad but they MUST BE YELLOW[crazy]
[signature]
I haven't looked through too many previous threads, but it seems like the majority of individuals have float tubes. Just curious what people think about the pantoon boats? I know they are more expensive, but can you get a good quality one for a reasonable price ~$300-400. It seems like they are bigger, store more, easier to get around the lake in because of the paddles and more stable in the water. Please realize I have no experience on this subject so don't attack me if I am way off. I have tube but haven't put it into the water since I was about 30 lbs lighter (more than 5 years ago). Not thinking of loosing 30 lbs so instead might get anothet tube or a pantoon.

What's the downside of going with a pantoon compared to a tube?
[signature]
We welcome your comments and hope we can help in some way.

We don't attack here. That is not allowed and strictly enforced.

Pontoons are very good for almost any size of person. They do have their advantages and diSadvantages.

There are tubes for bigger people as well.

If you plan on fishing little to no wind, stay with the tube.

If you Plan on zero wind then the pontoon would be your best friend.
[signature]
[black][size 3]Boy oh boy, Ktrout,[/size][/black]
[size 3]You might get all kinds of answers with your inquiry.[/size]
[size 3]The major difference between the two is portability. Most pontoons have a hard frame, which is more difficult to transport, or more difficult to assemble.[/size]
[size 3]There is a picture of a North Fork H3 above, and this is a craft that is kind of a "between" boat.[/size]
[size 3]The one advantage that pontoons boats have is the oars/electric motors, which make it faster to move around. Even though most "tooners" fish with foot propulsion, you can get to where you want to go, or get off the water faster.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]I personally like the idea of a toon, I purchased one, and the first trip I disassembled it, and after using it like that, I quickly learned that without a pickup, my Durango was not going to work. I purchased a small flat bed trailer, and used that for a while, but owning 1 toon is like owning 1 snowmobile. Fishing alone is no fun.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]So then, I bought a enclosed utility trailer, and with a complete rebuild inside, I can carry my 2 pontoon boats. That has worked real well. [/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]But recently, seeing the H3, and other products that are coming out of North Fork, I have considered a "between" craft. They have one that is coming up, that is like a large H3, with the option of both oars and elec. motor. It has a lot of appeal for me.(as an additional craft).[/size]

[size 3]Oh ya, one other thing that I like about pontoons is the fact that my hinie is out of the water. ha ha[/size]
[black][size 3][/size][/black]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]As my co-mod TN2 has stated, we do not jump all over newbies with questions on this board. We try to help where we can.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you spend some time looking back through the Best of the Best posts, at the top, and visit the [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?forum=130;"]PICTURE BOARD[/url] a few times, you will probably get a better feel for what might be best for you.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There are lots of factors, obviously. Your personal size and strength, your budget, what kind of fishing you will be doing, etc. There is no universal rule that tubes are always better or vice versa. Each can have its advantages on different waters, under different conditions.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]To help make your research a bit easier, I am attaching a copy of my unedited chapter on CHOOSING A CRAFT, from the book on tubing that I am writing. It should help explain how the different options interact to guide you in making a decision.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I didn't expect any attacks, just playing around. And I am not a big guy (a little under 200) just bigger than I used to be when I used my tube. I'd probably sink it if I used my old tube because I remember I use to sit fairly low in the water. Everyone on the boards has been real helpful and I appreciate all the feedback and thanks tube dude for the article. I will read it over.

I've seen some posts regarding prices for tubes and it seems like you can get a good one for around $200 or less. I just wasn't sure if I would have to spend more than double that to get a good pontoon. I don't mind putting some money into it, but $500 is too pricey for me. I like the idea of oars and having more room to move around, but wasn't sure if it was worth an extra $200. From my limited experience in Utah thus far it seems like a lot of the lakes and reservoirs get really w _ _ _ y in the afternoon. I saw someone tubing next to the ice recently and I really wanted to be out there instead of on the shore!

I have a truck so I'm sure I can get a pontoon to and from my fishing destinations. It's a mid size truck and I'm guessing that would be big enough. From the reports I've ready, most people seem satisified with a tube but if it was a lot better I would spend the money on the pontoon. I also realize that I will need some extra money to trick it out and get gear for it.

For those who have experienced both the tube and pontoon, does the pontoon give you a lot more room and maneuvarability?

Choices, choices, and more choices! Can't decide. [crazy]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]My personal evaluation, after using both tubes and toons...and observing lots of other "floataholics"...is to start with a tube. Get geared up and learn the basics. Learn what you like and don't like...and see if you can get next to someone who has a pontoon for you to try...just to be able to judge the difference.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You are likely to get all kinds of input, from folks who favor one or the other, for their own personal reasons. In the final analysis, it is only your opinion that counts.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you are concerned about room...I am 6'3" and weigh over 250 pounds. I can fit in an FC4, with (some) room to spare and still stay afloat. But, in my Super Fat Cat, I have plenty of room and never a concern about floatation. I float high, with just the bottom of my rear in the water. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]After getting used to fishing from a tube, I actually found the pontoon TOO big. I had to reach too far for everything. It was also much more difficult to keep on track or maneuver in any kind of breeze at all. Pontoons are not wind friendly. And, as you know, the W does "sometimes" happen on some waters.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]In short, I suggest that you buy good quality, but not top of the line to get started. You can always upgrade and either sell your "starter kit" to another rookie or keep it for family or friends who want to join you on the water...or as a backup in the event of a disaster with your higher priced ride.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Hi Ktrout I have both tube and toon and a boat (which I never use now). They both have there place. Tubes are much easier to fish from when you are first getting started. They are nice on control and easy to set-up for your needs.

Toons on the other hand take a bit more practice. There are sutuleties in oar control, fin flipping ect. Takes a bit more time to set-up and get use to. But make a great platform for an all day trip. They are heavier to pack, a consideration if you need to pack it to the waters edge.

But both are great and are a personal choice. I love my toon. But I love tubes just as much. Will be purchasing another toon today.
[signature]
I was lucky enough to be able to take a toone out a few times before i purchased, my tube. I actually choose the tube, but like Road said there is a place for both. I found that the toones do get pushed around a little more by the wind. I toone just felt a little to big to me. I like being in the action. I am currently using a fairly spendy tube, but IMHO it is worth the money to have the quality of urathane blatters and a 10 yr warrentee. My truck is a chevy stepside and carries my buddies 9' toone no problem. It is kinda like TD said find someone that will take you out and let you try the toone for a while and see waht you think. I can also tell you there is a hudge difference between an older round tube and U tube to some of the V tubes that are made today.
[signature]
HERE IS PONTOON GIRL[laugh] I to have both, pontoon....s and H3. I agree that they both have their place, specially if I am by myself (which I can still manage my pontoon, but float tube is easier)
First off let me say that I feel very strongly that you WON'T find a good pontoon for the price you mention unless it is used, which they are out there. By good, I urge strongly on Urethane bladders and Halkey Valves.
I don't get blown around as much on my pontoon because they are smaller diameter toons. I don't care for the double toons cause they leave a bigger foot print on the water making them harder to maneuver.
Advantages is the rowing and the motor (but you can put a motor on a float tube with a FLOTE POWER at Sportsman's Warehouse for $89.)
There is also the fact that you only need Hippers in a pontoon. Summer, shorts even in colder water you are only calf deep.

Transportation being the biggest factor, not only packing it in a vehicle or a trailer, but then getting it to the water when you are there.
I will say, I have an 11 1/2' X 5' pontoon weighing around 75lbs and I can do it myself, but due to the size it is easier to drag it a short distance.

Finally, the best of the best! it is going to cost about double what you are thinking but it is the best of both worlds.
the NAVIGATOR II by North Fork.
It is the same shape as th H3 except it is 9' long as apposed to the 6' of the H3. It has oars and in the back an optional platform for a battery and a trolling motor mounted through a zippered hole in the back. The entire boat deflates very small, even the seat, no frame except a bar from one side of the tube to the other for your feet while rowing.

[inline navigator2.jpg]

For me, I would take a pontoon anyday of the week due to how versitile they are. But I will be getting the Navicator. Buy the way, my hubby is 6'3" and 230 and his hind end is NOT in the water with the H3. I think the same will be true with the Navigator.
[signature]