Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tubed Lindon Today 5-10-07
[cool][#0000ff]TubeBabe and I launched at Lindon about 6:30 AM. Calm and air temp 50. Water clean and 64 degrees. Gettin' there.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Lots of fish on sonar and swirls on the surface everywhere. Most of the activity was from carp. Had several hits/bumps on my tandem tube jig rig as I made casts while kicking across the marina. Probably mostly carp.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Reached the north dike and started out toward the mouth of the harbor...casting in to shore as I moved along. Thought maybe there might be a stray whitie, wallies or largie in the shallows waiting to pounce on my little jigs. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]WHAM. ZING. Major munch and a quick loss of about 10 yards of line off my light reel. Heavy fish. I was thinking carp and was planning to keep one to cut up for bait. Boy, was I disappointed when it turned out to be a four pound kitty. That fish thoroughly beat me up on my light rod for about 10 minutes. When I got it in I observed that it had munched the pink and silver tube. Same lure the cats at Willard Bay seem to like so well.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]First fish in the basket within a half hour of launch. Fished over another hour before adding any more. TubeBabe and I kicked north from the harbor entrance, planning to work the creek inlet for whities and.or walleyes. Neither seemed to be in residence...or agreeable. So, we both started dragging bait. TubeBabe stayed in the shallower water (3-4') and I worked out into about 5 feet. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Both of us continued to throw plastics while dragging a bait on the second rod. The lake was like glass and there were a bajillion carp "clumping" on the surface, in pods of 10 to 100 fish or more...getting ready to swarm the shallows when the water warms another degree or two. I hooked several "dorsal diners" and "tail takers". Impossible to avoid them they were so thick. Most of the ones I hooked tore loose when I tried to horse them in. One ten pounder slurped the jig and was well hooked in the corner of the mouth. I brought it to the net and stuck it in my basket to become bait for future expeditions.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I looked at my watch at 8 AM and announced the time to TubeBabe on the walkie talkies. I reminded her that in times past the bite had started right about 8. Within five minutes, she had a catfish...and within 15 minutes we both had two. I continued up the shoreline a ways and bagged another 4 kitties while TB managed to net only one more.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]At 9:30, a serious southwest breeze came up and made the water kinda bumpy. It also killed the fishing. I had a couple more pop and drops after the breeze came up but no more serious takers. Ditto for TubeBabe.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]We dragged bait and threw lures all the way back into the harbor. Nada, Zip, Zilch. It was over. We were off the water before noon. Water temp at that time had risen to 66 and the carp were starting to roll in the shallows next to the shoreline. There were no huge orgies but only twos and threes, rolling here and there. Still, a guy with a bow could walk the shoreline and get some shots.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]TubeBabe only scratched 3 cats, but all three were solid 4 pounders. I got six, but only one was over 4, a couple over three and three more that were "Willard cookie cutter" size.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Still, a nice day on the water and we got home early. Time for my nap.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Looks like you had a great time. [cool]
[signature]
[cool]Sounds like fun. Can't wait 'til Saturday and try it myself. Hope the breeze doesn't get too bad. Great pictures and info.
[signature]
Glad to see they are biting.
Now I am torn between Willard and the west side of Utah Lake.

I sure would like to hook a couple of those carp for bait.

Nice pictures as usual.
[signature]
Great report Pat. Looks like it was decent till the "w" came up. Noticed it at lunch and said Tube Dudes off the water now.
[signature]
I really enjoy reading your "Fishing Reports". Its easy to see that
you must have been a Technical Writer in your former life. Your
post are very descriptive and informative.

Great pic's as well......
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]You're pretty sharp...for a California boy.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]What do you know about wind? Oh...that wind. At least I kept all the air in my tube.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Thanks for the kindly comments. I am a published author and much of my "other life" included writing company literature, manuals, instructional and marketing pieces.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I always enjoy informative reports, with pictures that properly illustrate the pertinent points. So, I try to put my reports together the way I would like to read them. Glad others like what I like.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Looks like a decent morning. And a little decent dining to boot. Kinda ironic that the soon to be bait is in the same basket. hehe
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]We joke about our "fish magic"...turning one species into others.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]That big carp produced 7 packages of filleted, skinned carp strips. Each half inch wide strip is cut in half and fished on a size 4 red hook. The pieces of bait are not large but we have caught quite a few fish this year between 5 and 10 pounds on the bitty bites.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Very nice... looks like what I've been waiting for. I'd guess that by Tuesday, should be nice and toasty.... get them kitties in tight so that Leaky and I can go have some fun. [cool]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I tried fishing the bobber jig just about the time the W came up. I got one right next to the reeds and had a couple of other pull downs before the water got bumpy.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I am guessing that by Tuesday you should find plenty of fish in your favorite spot.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Strong work again Pat. Those poor kitties sure don't know what hit them!
[signature]