Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Toon Motor Mount
I just purchased a Bucks South Fork Toon, and can't wait to get it in the water. I need some ideas on what type of trolling motor mount I need. I would like to make one my self and was wondering if anyone out there had a simple set of plans for a mount.
Just found the site and can't wait to become a regular.
[signature]
Welcome aboard destreet and thanks for taking the time to register. As far as becoming a regular, you are already one post closer with the 1st one that you made.

I hope you grow to enjoy the forum like the rest of us have. Please feel free to share any ideas or info that you have or simply use any advice that you see fit to meet your needs.

If you look in the "Best of the Best" Thread, it is full of ideas that other members have helped to create and engineer the bugs out of the sytem. You may have other ideas of your own. It's all good.[cool]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Welcome aboard. Hopefully you can find some good ideas by going back through some of the links on The Best of the Best..or over on the picture board.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You didn't say whether you were thinking about mounting on the front or the rear. If your craft came without mounting brackets, you will have to adapt something to the existing frame. A simple piece of wood or metal bolted on the back platform will usually get the job done.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you want to thing about a front mount, here are some pictures of one idea, using the footrests on the front.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=9442;][size 1]
Jedburton casting on Utah Lake in his pontoon rigged with a front mount trolling motor.

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=9443;]
Jed made good use of the foot rests on the frame to secure the wooden motor mount crosspiece.

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=9444;]
Another view of the front mounted trolling motor. [/size]
[signature]
It also depends on if you want to fight fish on the side or right in front of you.
I personally prefer the motor (a Minn Kota 30 to 36) on the back, turn the motor head around so that the prop is the same direction as the head. The motor then pulls me in the forward settings (all 5) and I can track with my flippers or with the oars in the water toward the front of the toon , just move the oar in the direction you want.
I have also found that it is possible to steer with just your feet while the motor is going.

I fly fish and there fore prefer the front of my pontoon free of anything. No chance my line will get caught in the motor, or a fish swimming around the motor while trying to land it.
Just my opinion.
The same wood block as in the picture, clamped to the rear deck, or Bucks Bags do sell an add on for the deck for motors.

Remember you have to license it once you put ANY kind of motor on it.
[signature]
[Smile]Thanks, for the info. I will check the other pictures for ideas. As far as mounting to the front or the back, I hadn't really thought about it. I think I will probably mount it in the rear. I was able to get it in the water today. A great place here in CO, Spinney Mountain res. Caught one pike around 24 inches but pretty slow day on the water.

Thanks again.

Dean
[signature]
Spinney is a HOT place. Your gonna have to post pixs.
[signature]