Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
R &R at the Gorge
We took vacation at the Gorge. We focused a couple days on Bass and a couple days on Kokes. I caught more rainbows than bass. Christie caught more bass. I may have had more time to catch bass but the two carp took some time. Decided right out that I would battle them to the net. One rainbow acted like a tarpon when it raced for a creature bait intended for a bass. That is really exciting to see. We cut short many camera shots as we found the rainbows were hurting pretty bad when we would release them. We would have to work them some to get them right side up and headed down. Christie even got a real nice brown. We kicked in the down riggers and pretty much caught Kokes steady on the little copper and pink spots money clip lure. Tried it in a pink pattern and that worked also. I didn't catch anything on the humdingers[unimpressed]. Got one small Mac on a trout colored daredevil. We were glad we were in the catch and release mode as it was hot and would have been hard to keep fish in eating condition. Wyoming game wardens were out and checked us on the lake. They also had a check station set up at Mountain View. For what it is worth I appriciate their efforts to protect the fishery. They were easy to talk to and had a lot of information on places to fish and what to use. I would really recommend checking with them for the lates tip fishing.

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=27369;]

Oh yes and what trip would be complete with out a shredded tire in the end. Got to love those torsion bar axles, take off the offending tire and limp home on three.
[signature]
Too bad about the tire, but heck, you caught a bunch of fish, so that is all good.
[signature]
Nice report. I'm thinking I might have to do a little travel soon. I the smoker needs something to do and those koke are just the ticket.. Of course someone will have hide my mack rods long enough to collect a few kokies for the smoker..
On the other hand a couple days staring at the old girl/boat resting at the shore line has its advantages too..
[signature]
I would just toss them mac rod's away if the fishing dont get eny better.and get u some koke gear lol it's turned me to the koke's for the rest of the summer then we can start fishing the big fish after all the crowed's go home about feb lmfao
[signature]
Nice report Dan, where is the picture of the Brown? We sure don't see many brown trout pictures coming from the Gorge, how big was it? Lots of other nice pictures though, sounds like you guys had a good trip until the tires gave you problems, at least you made it home safe.
[signature]
That brown was about 24 inches. He was hurting pretty bad from the hook and we hurried him back to the water. We were not set up to keep any and i was afraid he would become osprey food. We caught at least 20 kokes. They loved the pink/white/blue shasta blade with that money clip in pink or brass w/pink spots. We would hook them and try to just shake em off at the boat. I had one really big hook up but it got off. probably a wayward Mack. Saturday while we were trolling the guys jigging for macks at anvil did real well and boated many nice fish. We just didnt take the time to go after them with jigs. I usually ran one dedicated line for them trolling and caught one small one. I also would wonder how they will fare coming up into that warm water. The weather was so hot we would fish early quit around noon then come back around six and fish til dark. Saturday evening had a real bad wind event that got a lot of fishermen wet. But it shut it down anyway. We fished Anvil Draw as we never seemed to need to leave the area to catch fish. Wasn't too crowded, had good bass numbers and size and the ever present school of kokes out in the middle. The road was dusty and made a mess of everything but the boat and truck needed a good cleaning anyway.
[signature]
Thats too bad that you didn't get a picture of such a nice brown, at least you got it back in the water and it made it. How much do you think it weighted? That is a dusty road down to Anvil, I'm surprised you didn't go to Buckboard and launch, from the reports I've read the smallmouth and kokanee fishing is just as good there.
[signature]
Ash you have a good point bout the koke ol' buddy. Question is, do I have any koke gear?? What does it look like?? LMAO!!

Mackin' Next Feb.? Well I hear you but I'd never get involved in it.. LMAO!
[signature]