Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jordanelle :Perchathon Report 7-12-07
[cool][#0000ff]Hey. This is the third "hook and cook" tubing trip that has been planned for flygoddess, and the third no show. We will have to change her name to "FLAKE"goddess.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Makes no nevermind. Five of us showed up and caught lots of fish...and ate a bunch too.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Surprise. It rained on the way to the lake and several times while we were fishing too. Felt good and the overcast was a pleasant change. The water temp was a pleasant 70 degrees at launch and 72 when the daily zephr from the south sent us to shore about 11.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The good news? Everybody caught fish. I'll leave it open for individual tallies. TLSpyder 13 scored first, with a nice smallie and several others within a short time. I think he said his largest was about 18 1/2". Good fish. Petty4life whacked a 19" smallie, and several smaller bass, along with a meal sized basket of nice perch. Out4afloat also caught both perch and bass, as well as a chunky chub. Three species day for him.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]TubeBabe scored several nice basket perch and a couple of smallies. I got several smallies and ended up with about a dozen chunky perchies in my basket...without having to raid someone else's catch.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Quite a wildlife day. It started with TubeBabe and I barely avoiding a close encounter with a deer on the way to the lake. Once on the lake we were buzzed by a buzzard and swore at by gulls. Noisy flocks of geese kept taking off and landing, sometimes quite close to floatilla members. They made a lot of goosey noise in the process. Sounded like the losers in a goose calling contest.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]TubeBabe had a friendly beaver try to come out and make her acquaintance. When she moved away and did not want to play, the soggy rodent slapped his tail on the water to show his displeasure.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Lots of birds, of different species, including the swallows that had nests up inside the Pavilliion where we adjourned for a fish fry after getting off the water. Had to be careful where we set up the cooking and the eating seats...since we did not want any additional "seasoning" in our fresh fish fillets.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Also had a couple of squirrels that acted mighty impatient for us to be gone...so they could scrounge for leftoves.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Fun trip and not a whiff of skunk in the air.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
caught about a dozen smallies with the largest 2 at 19" and 17" caught so many perch you could never keep track, but only half dozen good sized eaters, was a great time and great eats, thanks dude for letting me test drive your tube.
[signature]
[black][size 3]Great report and photos, best yet.[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]It sounds and looks like you all had a great day. Glad you took a few to smell the roses (wildlife).[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Lake X is truely a great place to enjoy a quiet day on the water.[/size]
[signature]
Sounds like a productive RC morning was had by all. Great to see a few quality bass are still being caught in the area. I wish I could have been up there with you.

Were there any leftovers? [Wink]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Leftovers? Well, sort of. Just to be on the safe side I brought a bunch of perch and walleye fillets from Starvation and a big package of catfish fillets from Willard. That way we were covered for the fryer and did not need to "accomodate" anybody's catch. We went directly from the water to the cooking and did a couple of big batches in the fryer...one perch and one catfish. Only a few pieces not eaten but they did not go to (my) waist. Petty4Life grabbed 'em up and headed north.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]It was surprising that there were so many quality fish still in the shallow and dropping water. I caught a couple and lost a couple of others from water that was no more than 3 feet deep.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The small perch were swarming the shallows. The bigger perch were out in the 7-8 foot water...right out in front of the osprey nest. Got several in the 11-12 inch range. Many of them had large plastic baits in their guts when filleted. Mostly "sorta Senkos", but some twisters and tubes too. I'm guessing there are a lot of bassers who lose plastics on the hooksets to these brazen marauders. Of course, when the story is told, that 10 inch perch becomes a 7 pound bass.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
It looks like everyone had a great time. Pat, I always enjoy the pictures with your reports, and it helps when the pictures show what was used to catch the fish. I recognized all of those "fish catching creations." Wish I could have been there with the group!
[signature]
Sounds like a good time at one of my favorite holes. Glad ya all did well, sure wish i could have been there to join in the festivities. Maybe on the next trip. Nice report and love the pics as always!
[signature]
As TD has already said, it was a fun day on the lake. Always good to meet fellow BFT'ers on the water and see 'em in action.
[signature]
Man I am green with Envy. Kevin and I ran up there last night and got soaked to the bone and only managed 1 chub and 1 small small smallie. I am glad you all did much better than we did.
[signature]
[font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1]Post:[/size][/black][/font] [font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1][cool][#0000ff]Hey. This is the third "hook and cook" tubing trip that has been planned for flygoddess, and the third no show. We will have to change her name to "FLAKE"goddess.[/#0000ff]
[/size][/black][/font]

I totally deserve that. I got a call last night and I had a client this morning (money talks!) I remember you saying you would only be there till arouns 11:00. I was done around 2 or 3 but I figured you were gone.
Come one, you didn't miss this ol' fly flinger.
I like the pictures though. If you all had the dounut tubes it would look like a bowl of cherrios[cool]

I will have a new suprise for the next one, but I am not gonna say anything, I will just show up, so be sure to post date and time.
[signature]
You guys got a good group of tubers who would get together and have a fun day and that fish fry!!![cool]
[signature]
The rain although not expected was a nice relief. Kept the temp down but didn't seem to affect the fishing.

Started the morning looking for bass and found them in the same places as last week. The 18 1/2 smallie was a nice treat for only my second time fishing for them. The perch that took my jig I was dragging while tossing to the shore for bass was a nice bonus too.

Wind wasn't a factor so I kicked across to the other side as I had never been over there in a tube and picked up a chub. In the basket for later use at Utah lake and some cats.

Kicked down to the shallows to find some of the perch everyone was talking about only to find that they were so small they were hard to hook. Same problem as last week. Moved over to where the perch were last week and earlier for TubeDude. Switched over to a TubeDude special and hooked more tiny perch then I could count. Can't wait to try them at Yuba.

Good food, plenty of fish, little wind and nice people. What more could you hopefull?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Sorry Joni. I assumed that there was something "more important" that you needed to deal with. Life sometimes gets in the way of fishing.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You are wrong about one thing though. We did miss ya.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There was another fly flinger out there and he whacked the snot out of smallies and perch in shallow water on a 2" fly. Told ya.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]We do try to post up any pending get togethers, and you will always be welcome.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Nice pics and report. I'll bet those smallies put up quite a fight on light gear.

I need to get up there!
[signature]
Super disappointed that I couldn't go, just too much to do at work. Drat. Oh, well, next time. Glad you all had a good time. If tlspyder would have still needed a ride, I might have been able to make myself miss work--next time I may have to make sure that I have some kind of responsibility to make myself go--like, in charge of bringing paper plates.
[signature]
[reply]
.........If you all had the dounut tubes it would look like a bowl of cherrios[cool] .........

[#800000]okay now you got me snorting my drink out thru my nose.. at least it was a cold drink and not hot coffee.. hehehehe.. on a local radio station they call that an ASNR.. (acute, spontaneous, nasal reflex....).. so you gave me an asnr... [laugh]

MacFly [cool][/#800000]
[/reply]
[signature]
Wish I would have known. If thats all you needed I'm sure we could have worked out a reason we needed you and your gear to balance out the car.
[signature]