Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good Day at the Berry 7/14/07...
Hey all,
Wanted to escape the heat so my uncle, my cousin and I took my 14 foot aluminum boat to Strawberry on Saturday. We launched right at the Ladders at about 6:15 a.m. Calm conditions, we went out to our "secret spot", and proceeded to not catch fish for about an hour. Barely even a bite, and very few fish on the finder. We decided to move locations. We trolled around with the electric motor looking for fish on the finder, and once we found some, we threw out the anchor. Curious thing about this location however...there seemed to be an underwater current that was pretty strong. The boat was stationary and the anchor was holding perfectly, and no wind at all, but we couldn't get our lines to stay vertical without putting a ton of weight on. That said however, it was fishing heaven! Seems like the fish like a semi-horizontal presentation while vertical jigging! For about an hour it was just like dropping your line into a barrel of fish! We were in about 45 feet of water, and we had at least 1/2 ounce of weight with 3 feet of leader after that with the standard jigs that we use. Once the big weight hit the bottom it was usually only less than a minute before fish on!
We ended up with 33 fish and lost that many more. Two were Rainbows, one of which was a big fat one about 19 inches that we lost as we were trying to net it. Two other Cutts went over the slot, one at 22.5 inches, the other at 23.5 inches. All others were within the slot.
Once the "underwater current" stopped around 9:30, so did the fishing. I have no idea what it was, but whatever it was it was bringing the fish through there. Here are a few pics.
Oh yes, we also caught a crawdad! And when loading the boat back on the trailer in the shallows, we saw hundreds of them!
Randy
[signature]
I used to N.ot have E.nough T.ime O.ff to go fishing.  Then I retired.  Now I have less time than I had before. Sheesh.
Hey NETO, I was in the same general area as you Saturday. We located fish right from the get go in 50'-60' of water. Caught about 50 vertical jigging between 4 of us before 9:00am then only picked up another handful from 9:00-1:00. My fishing partners had to leave so I droped them off at the marina and went back to the ladders. Found a school close to your secret spot but out a little deeper in 44' of water. Caught another 10 or so in the next 3 hours then the wind picked up, I battled the wind for an hour then called it quits at 6:30.

Sunday I launched at the S.C. side. Caught 3 in 3 hours. Decided to head over the the ladders at 10:30am. Fished the same general area as your secret spot in 50' of water. Marked alot of fish, caught 12 and missed a bunch. Decided to call it a day at 1:30.

Biggest fish of the weekend was caught by SliverSlingers brother, a nice 25.5" cutt caught in 60' of water. SliverSlingerws buddy caught a really fat 22 incher. Had a few others that where close to the 22 inch mark. Larger white or pearl jiggs seamed to work the best.
[signature]
MGB, I thought I saw your boat out there, but wasn't 100% sure it was you. Come on over and share notes next time! We ended up doing much better in a little deeper water also.

Did you experience that same underwater current in the Ladders that we were experiencing before 9:30 a.m.? It was very strange. Never seen anything like it before.

That place is addicting. My boss(s) are coming into town over the 24th week and wanted to go on a "high adventure fishing trip within 2 hours of town". I told them I had just the place!

Randy
[signature]
I used to N.ot have E.nough T.ime O.ff to go fishing.  Then I retired.  Now I have less time than I had before. Sheesh.
Neto,

Sounds like you had a great day as well. We did see that underwater current as well and as the day went on things did slow down for us. Thanks MGB for a great trip. Sorry we had to leave, but I am sure glad that we finally made it up again. It was also good to meet some other BFTrs. Hope to do it again, soon. Jake
[signature]
my father in-law and i fished the mud creek area sat and did very well just drift jigging. caught more fish outside the slot than ever before. 3 over 24 1 26, great day sat. sunday was slower the bite was alot lighter. i guess i need to move more and find active fish.
all fish were let go to swim another day.[Wink]
[signature]
Sounds like you guys found a decent stock pile of troutskis. I'll bet it was nice to get into some trout. I don't think I'd recognize one any more.
[signature]