Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tea stick
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][cool]Many times I have read about Flygoddess's love for her tea stick. Thought that she was a coffee drinker. [Wink] So here is a bit of triva in case you weren't aware of this info. I wasn't.[Tongue]

[/size][/green][/font][font "Poor Richard"][size 3][green]Split-bamboo fly rods have made an impressive comeback in the fly-fishing world in recent years, particularly in Maine, a state with a rich heritage in bamboo-rod making. In the early 20th century, internationally famous rod makers such as Payne, Edwards, Thomas and Leonard had turned the Pine Tree State into the bamboo-rod capital of the world.
Many of these legends from that bygone era owned shops in Bangor, and today their rods made with tea stick bamboo command a dear price. Rods built prior to the early 1930s were not tea stick and are less valuable. The lighter, 61Ú2 - to 71Ú2 -foot Payne models can run $2,000 and more, but longer rods cost much less. They are too heavy to please modern fly-casters, putting them in less demand.
Making bamboo-rod blanks is labor-intensive and requires great skill, explaining the high cost. The artisan must split six strips from a tea stick culm and shave each one down to a tapered, three-sided piece. This is precision work because the six strips must fit perfectly together to form the six-sided blank. The degree of taper dictates the action. etc
[/green][/size][/font]
[signature]
hhhmmmmm I thought it was called tea stick because tea was used to color the bamboo to a warmer brown color.. had no idea there was such a thing as teastick bamboo....I thought bamboo was bamboo.. shows how much I gots to learn.. [laugh]

...great bit of info there DR.......thank you for posting it......

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
They also have what is called FLAMING, which is what it sounds like.
My new Teastick is flamed which means it has a dark brown spiril up it. Cool looking.

When Glen Bracket worked for Winston, they had a HOLLOW bamboo...can you imagine how light that it.
[signature]
on the flaming... I am picturing in my mind a darker.. almost smokey swirl to it... am I close... :-)

MacFly
[signature]
YUP![Wink]
[signature]
[#005000][font "Tempus Sans ITC"][size 3]....heheheheheh see ... ya can teach an old dog like me a thing or two... just have to do it slowly.... very very slowly.... [sly][/size][/font]
[font "Tempus Sans ITC"][size 3][/size][/font]
[font "Tempus Sans ITC"][size 3][/size][/font]
[font "Tempus Sans ITC"][size 3]MacFly [cool][/size][/font]
[/#005000]
[signature]
Laughing!!!!!!!!!![laugh][laugh][laugh]
[signature]
[font "Tempus Sans ITC"][#005000][size 3]its gonna be a good day... I made our FG laugh.... [laugh][/size][/#005000][/font]
[font "Tempus Sans ITC"][#005000][size 3][/size][/#005000][/font]
[font "Tempus Sans ITC"][#005000][size 3]MacFly[/size][/#005000][/font]
[signature]
Our Flylady is always laughing except when she is tying up some of those #40 flies, cant find the clippers to snip of the end thread, uses her teeth instead and accidentally get her teeth full of hackle from the fly.[laugh][laugh][laugh][shocked]
[signature]
Bro., you got me square on the head on that one....LOL
[signature]
[font "Tempus Sans ITC"][#385000][size 3][sly] gotta love family comradery... [Smile][/size][/#385000][/font]
[font "Tempus Sans ITC"][#385000][size 3][/size][/#385000][/font]
[font "Tempus Sans ITC"][#385000][size 3]MacFly [cool][/size][/#385000][/font]
[signature]
[center][cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Is it tea time yet? This is a good looking set of china.[/size][/green][/font][Wink][/center] [center]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=27943;][/center]
[signature]
I need one of those reels! I keep looking for a small Vom Hoff replica.
[signature]