Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Colorado Lake Trout Facts
[font "Arial"][black][size 2]I came across a couple of 1996 and 1997 Colorado DOW press releases on lake trout with interesting facts I thought you might all appreciate, incuding the following:[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Arial"][black][size 2][/size][/black][/font]
[font "Arial"][black][size 2]Lake trout have been documented to live to at least 37 years in Lake Granby. That fish was 36" long and weighed 20 pounds.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Arial"][/font]
[font "Arial"][black][size 2]Lake trout begin life eating plankton, larval insects, mysis shrimp and other forms of aquatic invertebrates. [/size][/black][/font]
[font "Arial"][black][size 2]In Colorado, lake trout will mature at 7 years old and stay at about 19 inches long and 2 ½ pounds if they're on a diet of mysis shrimp and don't switch over to eating fish. If the switch to a fish diet is made, it usually occurs at around 15-17".[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Arial"][black][size 2]A 30" lake trout in Colorado will generally be much older than the 10 years formerly believed to be the case.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Arial"][/font]
[font "Arial"]Lake trout were originally stocked in Colorado in 1890 from stock from the Great Lakes.[/font]
[font "Arial"][/font]
[font "Arial"][black][size 2]Lake trout prefer 45- to 50-degree water temperatures. Sixty degrees approaches the limit of their comfort level. Above 75 degrees they die quickly.[/size][/black][/font]

The press releases are attached in pdf format.
[font "Arial"][/font]
[signature]
Nice that was interesting, I thought no matter what they eat they get big.
[signature]
Thanks great info. It makes me wonder how many of the "pups" are really pups or old fish that are to dumb to start eating other fish. Twin is full of fish around the 18 to 20 inch area. Most of them look like they're starving, big heads and long skinny bodies.

A friend of mine runs a trout club that has a couple of lakes with lakers. One of them was last stocked in the early 80s and the fish are only about 20 to 25 inches. There is plenty for them to eat brookies, rainbows, fat head minnows and a number of other laker snacks[black]. I wonder what makes them switch. Maybe they are just lazy and the bugs are just easy to catch. I guess this is what keeps us fanatics going. There is always more to learn about lake trout. [/black]
[signature]
IT IS AMAZYING I BET IT IS THE SAME UP HEAR MAYBE A LITTLE MORE GROWTH COOL STUDY'S .ASH
[signature]