Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Musky & Big Flies
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Hello all;[/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#000080][size 3]I'm heading to Lac Seul, Ontario mid-August for a week of fishing. Any help on casting large flies for musky would be appreciated.[/size][/#000080][/font]
[signature]
I got your PM and then lost it, sorry. I don't have a clue on those big guys, but I will bet an 8wt is in order.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][Smile]Thanks for your quick response. What I find out I will pass on. It may come from the best teacher of all...experience.[/size][/font]
[signature]
[black][size 3]I can't give you any information from experience, so take it with a grain of salt, but from reading and seeing fishing shows, it's my understanding that musky on a fly is a rare method of catching them.[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]It does happen in the early spring of the year in some of the shield lakes in Canada. The musky are found in shallow bays, looking for warm water and feed.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Whenever they show this activity on the fishing shows, the fisherman in always fishing water of about 2 or 3 feet in depth, where the guide has slowly rowed the boat into these shallow bays.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]My advise to you would be to contact the guide services on the lake that you are fishing, and find out how they are fishing this time of year. It would be a shame to make the trip with only your fly rod, and find that the fish were being caught only on trolling or casting gear.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Which ever way your trip turns out, be sure to let us know about it, with pictures if possible.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]good luck[/size]

[#ff0000][size 3]UPDATE: I'm sure that you have visited the Internet sites related to Lac Suel, (I just did), and find that this large lake is filled with toothy game fish, with walleye being the major target. The lodges offering guided services cover musky fishing, recommending casting and trolling, with no mention of fly fishing for them. In any case, take big, heavy gear. It looks like you in for a grand experience.[/size][/#ff0000]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Saberfish;[/size][/font]
[Smile][font "Comic Sans MS"][#000080][size 3]Thanks for your response. This will be my 6th trip to Lac Seul but I have never thrown flies for musky. I know the chances of a hook-up are rare and if I do hook one I may only have a few seconds of fun, but what FUN![/size][/#000080][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#000080][size 3][/size][/#000080][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#000080][size 3]You are correct; Lac Seul is a huge body of water and [/size][/#000080][/font][font "Comic Sans MS"][#000080][size 3]for a walleye fishermen this is a trip of a lifetime. Lac Seul is a walleye factory, and I have seen some HUGE musky. We start our trip out of Hudson, Ontario aboard a 75' houseboat. towiing our fishing rigs behind. We will beach the houseboat on an island and leave our "base camp" twice a day for fishing.. Three of us will take 2 to 3 mornings to fish for the BIG "M". We have a meal of walley every lunch and exchange fishing stories.[/size][/#000080][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#000080][size 3]Thanks again for your help.[/size][/#000080][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][#000080][size 3]Check out the Lac Seul Floating Lodges web site at:[font "Verdana"][#000000][size 2] [/size][/#000000][/font][/size][/#000080][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#000080][size 3][font "Verdana"][#000000][size 2][url "http://www.lacseulfloatinglodges.com/"]http://www.lacseulfloatinglodges.com/[/url][/size][/#000000][/font][/size][/#000080][/font]
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][size 3][green][cool]Hi there phisherman and welcome to the BFT. Thanks for taking the time to visit with us. Thought that I would add my 2cents worth. Because of their size 8- to 11-wt 9” rods appear to be the norm for muskie fishing. Salt water gear would work well. Size 2/0 to 4/0 streamers & poppers to mention a few flies are needed for these big dudes. If you don’t posses any large rods of this type perhaps your best bet as suggested would be to hire a guide who usually has the appropriate equipment to offer.[/green][/size][/font]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][cool]Thanks Dryrod; [/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]In my searching I have found a site in Maine that sells Musky and Pike flies. If I get any musky follows I'll let you know.[/size][/font]
[signature]
[center][cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Hi there phishermn - I sent you a PM.[/size][/green][/font][/center]
[signature]
[cool][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Dryrod;[/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#000080][size 3]Thanks for the great artical, It was a BIG help.[/size][/#000080][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#000080][size 3]phishermn[/size][/#000080][/font]
[signature]
Streamers and Leeches are the best for them. You may want to tie up some fresh ones with silver and gold flashabou in them.

You could also tie some Zonkers with some of the heavier Clouser eyes on them. Purple or blue Zonker strips, and add some silver Flashabou.

These are some of the tried and proven patterns from some of my big game fly fishing buddies.

9wt rod and slow sink line will accompany these well.[cool]
[signature]
[cool]Thanks for the feedback. I'll let all know how I did when I return the first week in Sept.
[signature]
Good luck up there and catch a big one![cool]
[signature]
Phisherman, look into St. Croix rods. I've got a 10 wt and it is the best rod I've ever owned. I've got a Scientific Angler's SYSTEM 2 reel with a spare.

I'm currently tying some pike streamers. Let me know if I can be of help.-Bruce
[signature]
[cool]Thank you!! I'll check out the rod.
[signature]