Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Antelope Myth put to rest!
Anyone ever heard the myth of the Antelope that jumps a fence? I have heard all of my life that an antelope will not jump a fence, but instead will do a baseball slide underneath or somehow shimmy throught the fence. Well, that myth was finally put to rest the other day on MM.

[inline untitled.bmp]
[signature]
That's interesting. I've personally seen many antelope slide under fences, but that is the first one I've seen actually jump one. Cool pic.
[signature]
I have spent many a day hunting antelope in Wyoming with My grandfather and uncles. They all told me the same about them not jumping fences. I have also watched many of them slide under a fence, I have also watched many of them crash head on into a fence, Bust there neck and lay there for the sound dogs to get, But a few years ago I finally seen a doe jump a fence. Shocked the hell out of me. Nice photo though.

Recently took my daughter over to school in Laramie. There qare tons of Prarie rockets in that part of the country.
[signature]
I archery hunted antelope out Northeast of Casper a few years ago on a private ranch. Antelope everywhere. I would be 25% of them jumped fences and the other 75% crawled under. I've heard it time and time again from some old local-yocals that antelope don't jump fences and they thought I was lying when I told them I saw it quite regularly on my antelope hunt. Maybe its what they eat for breakfast! LOL
[signature]
[font "Tempus Sans ITC"][#808000][size 3]Thats a cool pic HookJaw.[/size][/#808000][/font]
[font "Tempus Sans ITC"][#808000][size 3][/size][/#808000][/font]
[font "Tempus Sans ITC"][#808000][size 3]Whoever said Antelope can't jump fences is just plain wrong. I typically see at least one Antelope a week jump a fence on my way to or from work. But Antelope typically will not jump the fence unless they pushed. Antelope are not like deer they will not jump the fence to migrate to the other side.[/size][/#808000][/font]
[font "Tempus Sans ITC"][#808000][size 3][/size][/#808000][/font]
[font "Tempus Sans ITC"][#808000][size 3]Later,[/size][/#808000][/font]
[signature]
It's just an old myth. I have also heard it from a bunch of old timers.
I hunted Deseret last year for antelope and we cornered a few bucks that would not jump the fence for anything. We must have driven the truck about 20 yards from the buggers and still they would not jump. The same story went on and on the rest of the day so I started to believe the old timers. Now I have proof.
[signature]
Dude that is a very cool picture. Thanks for sharing
[signature]
[shocked] holy crap Ive always believed that myth thanks for busting it..
Now I don't have to call myth busters to find out if it was true or not.
Thats a cool pic man.
[signature]
That is really an interesting picture. I have never watched one go over a fence. I watched alot go under them. I know that the federal goverment has requirements when fences are built on public land in pronghorn habitat that the bottom wire is at least 16 inches above the ground. There have been some pretty major die offs in Wyoming where livestock fences were built across pronghorn migration routes. The animals just pile up along them and starve. Thanks for sharing. gshorthair
[signature]
I have seen antelope jump fences several times, especially if cornered or pressured. Normally though they will follow a fence to an opening such as a gate or crawl under if the can.[cool]
[signature]
I have seen antelope jump fences on several occasions especially when pressured. The first ones I seen were several does on Deseret while I was guiding some hunters. You can't believe the old timers all the time, back in the early 70's when I killed my 1st goat in Idaho I was told they tasted terrible by alot of the old timers and that their dogs wouldn't even eat them, I just happened to read an article in one of the hunting magazines that said as soon as they hit the ground get the hide off and put them on ice in a cooler instead of letting them bounce around in the back of a truck in 90 degree heat. The wife and I have killed a quite a few and we have never had a bad tasting one. We have several nice Utah bucks on the wall and they were quite tasty. I'll post a picture of my last buck taken a couple years ago on Nine Mile Anthro unit.[cool]
[signature]
That is a nice looking specimen. If you try eating them you will find they are tender. They also make great jerky if that is your preference. They have lots of scent glands in their skin and removing the hide and cooling them down is a must in warm weather. I use a dorsal cut when I skin pronghorns. gshorthair
[signature]