Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nebo Elk
I had the chance to go with my dad on his limited entry elk hunt on the Nebo unit this weekend. What a great time. We saw a few bulls around, some were being chased by other hunters, so we let them be, and we saw a few shooters, just not in range. Finally yesterday morning at 0730 my pops put the whuppin' on this 8X7 bad boy! Don't let the length and width fool you though. This bad boy has some serious mass. His first mass measurements between 1 and 2 was nearly 11 inches! He ended up grossing 357. He put him down with the trusty 300 Win Mag at 342 yards. Took 2 shots to the chest, but the first one would have done the trick. You just can't let an animal like that keep standing whether they are burning oil or not! After the pics and high fives it was time to start the work! Finally got the last load to camp at 7:30 PM. My back and legs are still sore.
[inline papaelk.jpg]

Here are a couple of blues I picked up while we were up there.
[inline grouse07.jpg]

All in all it was a great time, and I'm glad my dad got him a great bull to put on the wall. I think unless you are extremely fortunate, these hunts are once in a lifetime. I just hope one day I can draw out and get one as nice.
[signature]
Very very cool, Brandon. Looks like a keeper to me.
[signature]
Awesome bull and nice chickens.[cool]
[signature]
What a brute. Tell your dad congrats. Shoulder mount?
[signature]
Thanks everyone. It will be a shoulder mount. One intersting thing was that we talked to a group on horses who saw this bull and thought he'd go 300-320. That would probabaly be correct if he wasn't so stinking massive! I think for me, the mass would be the hardest thing to judge. Even with a nice spotting scope I don't think I would have given him credit for the mass on his rack.
[signature]
Very nice bull!!!!
He should be very happy with that one.
[signature]
Here is another pic that shows some of his unique character.
[inline morebull.jpg]
[signature]
That is a nice rack. Again he should be very pleased.
[signature]
[font "Lucida Console"][#ff4040]Nice work!! Congrats to your dad.[/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]
[font "Tempus Sans ITC"][#808000][size 3]Very nice Bull. He sure has some awesome character. Tell your dad congrats.[/size][/#808000][/font][Smile]
[signature]