Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fish Lake 10/27/07
Wiperslayer1, another fishing buddy and I tried out luck at Fish Lake yesterday. We couldn't have asked for better weather. Until about 1:00 PM there was never even a ripple on the water, and then there was a constant light breeze after that. The only negative was all of the smoke in the air from the California fires. The goal was to catch a couple perch for bait to supplement our chubs, crawlers, mealworms, and sucker bait, and then to see if we could find some active macks. We lauched from The Fish Lake Lodge Marina (found out the one at Bowery Haven was closed for the winter) and motored over to the east side. The first place we tried we caught splake and rainbows but no perch. We decided to just go try for the macks. Moved out to about 40 feet and couldnt' find the macks but found the perch and more splake and rainbows. Moved around some and spoke to another boater (only saw about 3 other boats all day long) who was trolling with a handline and found out that the mack spawn was over and that the macks were scattered around Fish Lake. Finished the day on the west side in about 45 to 55 feet of water. Caught more splake and a few rainbows there along with two macks, with the largest just going 21 inches. Not exactly the trip that we hoped for, but with the gorgeous weather, cooperative splake and rainbows, fun fishing companions no complaints here. BTW -- the splake and rainbows are plentiful right along the weedline and just outside of it if one wants to target them.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Nice report. Glad the weather was good for you. That is a long one day turnaround if you have to fight the wind too. Even if you don't. I'll bet you are a wee bit tired today.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If the past is a predictor of the future, then there should be pretty good fishing right through the fall until iceup. Those splake and rainbows provide great fishing for family fun.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Any size at all to the perch...or just the usual stunted runts?[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Some of the perch were large enough that they could have been filleted.
[signature]
Nice report Kent.

Too bad the macks had scattered. I'll bet it was nice to just get out though. [cool]
[signature]
Sounds like you guys did ok. I don't go to that lake very often, but some of the few times I have I've been blown off of it early!
[signature]
I used to N.ot have E.nough T.ime O.ff to go fishing.  Then I retired.  Now I have less time than I had before. Sheesh.