Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thanks for the help - Ram search is over!
Earlier this year I had asked for tips on sheep around flaming gorge and got a lot of good info. I ended up taking my ram from the Green River area. It was an awesome hunt truly a once in a lfetime hunt for me. He will score a little over 170 with nearly 16 inch bases. Thanks again!

I can't get the pic to post - I'll try again tonite when I get to my home pc and can resize it - guessing that is the problem.
[signature]
Congrats on taking your Ram. Looking forward to the pics. I also like your avatar. Good times with your kids
[signature]
Let me try this.
[signature]
Nice!!!! Thanks for sharing. M.H.
[signature]
WOW that is awesome that is far most the animal i dream about i cant wait till i draw [Wink]
[signature]
I cant see the picture. Unclick the inline
[signature]
That's awesome, congrats!
[signature]
Nice ram dude! Any more details about that faithful moment?? Distance? Shot placement? The sneak?? We need more man![cool]
[signature]
Wow! thats all I can say. What an oppertunity of a lifetime. The back drops on your photos are great. The 2nd one is out of this world.

Thanks for taking the time to download and share. And yes, A great story on this hunt told by you would be a great read.

RILEY
[signature]
Sweet! Congrats on taking such a nice animal.
[signature]
Thanks - I had the sportsmans permit and had hunted about 16 days since Sept 1. I had seen a lot of sheep but not many mature rams until the last week when they started rutting. We found this ram and another bedded early and watched him for a couple hours trying to decide if he was the one. He took my breath away when I first saw him and it was gut wrenching to say the least. I knew he was not a monster but he was BIG. I finally left him and looked at another really nice ram then went to go find my son and another friend who went into another canyon looking. We finally caught up to them and they had found a 160 class ram - and I said lets go look. We made our way back to the ram they had found and he was really nice but I told my son he is not as big as the one I had seen earlier. My son asked me what were we doing standing there then - we hauled it 17 miles on the 4-wheelers back to the first ram and started looking for him. We finally found him and the other ram working there way back around the canyon rim opposite of the side they were on earlier - over 400 yds away.. We had watched them at less than 200 yds all morning. My friend looked at him and says he is a great sheep I don't know how you can pass him up - thats all I needed to hear [cool]

The next 20 minutes were probably the most intense 20 minutes of my life. At that moment a group of sexy ladies came off the ridge right in front of him and bailed off the canyon walls and he followed them down part of the way - my heart jumped into my throat because there is no way I can shoot him there - it is a 200 ft drop off of shear cliffs. I waited and he just stood there for a good 10 minutes . The other Ram stayed on top and this one was Undecided in what to do. I felt like I was about to pass out - finally he walked back up to the rim edge and I put it into high gear moving closer to him. I got to within 250 yds sat down and thru my 270 up on the shooting sticks. He was broadside - the crosshairs settled on his shoulder and at the first shot he rared up on his hind legs and whirled around quartering to me just standing there. I had actually gotten pretty calm at this moment and could not tell if I had hit him or not. I set the crosshairs right on the point of his shoulder and touched off a second shot and that one definitely connected and down he went. I thought I was going to pass out again at that moment. We made our way up to him and he was laying with his head wedged in a crack and all I could see was this tremendous mass of horn sticking up in the air - I was dancing a jig around on the rocks unbelivably excited. We all were - He was just magnificent - I wish every hunter could get that experience someday of walking up to a wild sheep. I'm still pinching myself wondering how I could get so lucky to draw a tag like that. I am going to do a lifesize mount - I may have to remodel and it is expensive but truly magnificent animals from magnificent places deserve it!
[signature]
Great Story Scott,

A great read.
[signature]
The pictures are nice but the story is even better. Thanks. Congradulations on a great hunt.
[signature]
What a great story! Man that is a rush. Very nice. Congrats on a hunt of a lifetime.
[signature]
That is a great ram. Thanks for the story.
[signature]
Congratulations on the nice ram and thanks for sharing your story. Sounds like you put your time in, do you get the same amount of time to get your animal when you draw a Sportsman's permit? I just applied for my Sportsmans permit, hopefully I'll get lucky this year[cool]. WH2
[signature]