Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lake trout through the ice
What a tremendous trip. The fishing was good, the snowmobiles ran great, the food was great, the weather cooperated, and the bed was warm.

We had two meals of fish. If you have never had fish fresh out of a hole in the ice you are missing out on a great meal. The owner of Crystal Harbour Resort in Sioux Narrows cooke one meal that we breaded for her when the cook was off for the New Years holiday and the cook made another meal when she returned. The first one was just Shore Lunch breading and it was fantastic. The cook did her magic with a wash of canned milk and egg followed by a breading of simply cornflake crumbs with no other seasoning added. It was buttery, flaky and crisp.

We brought back limits of lake trout, walleyes, perch, and crappies. We also got a couple of bonus whitefish.

I caught 7 species. Lake trout, walleye, sauger, perch, crappie, eelpout, and whitefish.

For a while it was a bit snowy:

B-I-L with a nice trout:

Me with a stunted tail trout:

Me with a couple of buckets of Nestor Falls crappies:

Me on the Panther 700 with a walleye:

Friend fighting a trout:

[signature]
Fantastic report, great photos

any tips you might want to share on how to catch them lake trout through the ice?

we ran a little short on ice down here in south east michigan this week.. not that we had much to begin with...

thanks for the share...
[signature]
For the trout we use 3 and 4 inch tubes with 1/8 and 1/4 ounce long shank jig heads inside. Colors are whites, pearls, and white and clear with flakes.

I spool up with 8# Trilene XT with a small swivel and an 8 # flourocarbon leader.
[signature]
thanks, I was wondering if you are targeting any particular structure or are you marking them with the fish finder?

are you finding them in the same place under ice that you do from the boat?

Reason I ask is because I marked some fish in a hole a while back in the summer and was wondering if it would be worth my effort to go back out to that area and try it from hard top..
[signature]
We hit water that runs between 30 and 50 feet that is near water that is deeper. The trout cruise the shallower water for food and run back into the deeper water.

We have a bunch of spots that we fish. We haven't been there in the summer. We always talk about making an open water trip to scout spots for the hard water but we never do. Right now it is map scouting for new spots but the old spots always produce. We have enough spots in the GPSs that we can't hit them all in a single trip anyway.
[signature]
Its alway nice to find other BFT members that are as nuts about Mack fishing through the ice no matter what the weather brings, lol.
Sounds like you had a pretty fair day tapping Mac-a-doo. Good on ya..
[signature]
thanks, that sounds like the area I marked some fish during the summer, I could not sit on them or troll over them because wind and conture confinements.

so I dont know for sure they are trout, but they were holding there. I have marked them there on several trips... and they mark as the biggest fish icon my eagle finder puts out..

In the link below is a partial arial veiw of the lake I am targeting...

the sand bar is bout 5 feet below and in the center it drops down to 100 feet.

tell me what you think....
[signature]
Might be worth pursuing. Only way to know for sure is to catch one and find out.

Can you get back in there in a boat in late fall? That would be the best time for scouting fo early ice action.
[signature]
ya, I have tried, just to much wind in the fall to sit on top of thier location.. I just end up dragging ancor.... then we have to give up deer hunting time as well... cant win for loosing...[angelic] now I cant get no ice... [Tongue]

of corse if I do get one, I can never tell any one where they are at... but it is a three mile hike to get to that location... unless you know someone who lives there...

to give ya an idea about the size of the bay, it is just over a foot ball feild long and about twice as wide.
[signature]